1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AutoPay Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by chevyguy559, Dec 17, 2008.

1. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Ok, I have set up paperless billing and AutoPay.....with being enrolled in AutoPay, do I have to do anything or will the payment automatically be made on the due date? If I go in and manually pay earlier than the due date, will that un-enroll me from AutoPay? Sorry, this is my first bill :D

2. idigg

idigg Legend

May 8, 2008
    Enroll in paperless billing, but remove yourself from autopay. If you ever have an error on your bill, you will have more trouble having it removed properly, or the mistake will be credited to you on your bill as a credit, not in re-issuing you a money credit.

3. chevyguy559

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Hmmm ok, I think I'll wait until I get the $20 credit for enrolling in autopay and paperless before I turn off autopay :D

4. gibson.guitarman

gibson.guitarman AllStar

Mar 19, 2007
    With auto pay, you will need to check their website regularly anyway to ensure it is processed correctly. Once they 'forgot' and charged me late fee which I had to resolve with CS. If your card is reaching expiration, you must proactively update your payment info, they won't notify you, and forgetting will cost you. Once you update your CC info, they drop you off of autopay without telling you. Either way, you need to remember to go to their website regularly unless you pay via mail.

5. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    It used to be that if you were set up with auto-pay from a credit card, the charge would post when the bill was actually produced, not on the due date. So if you get billed on December 15th, and your payment for that bill is due on January 2nd, for example, your card would have been billed on December 15th.

I think that has changed, but I think they still bill your credit card prior to your due date. I don't use auto-pay, so I can't tell you for certain, but there are people on here who should be able to clear it up for you.

The reason for my post is just to let you know that you will likely have your card charged sometime BEFORE your due date.

6. chevyguy559

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    I actually have autopay setup to take it out of my bank account....it showed my due date as 12/23....but I went ahead and did a manual payment today and now it shows $0.00 due, so I guess its ok :) I'm going to un-enroll in AutoPay once I get the $20 credit for signing up....

7. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I have no problems with fixed amounts like a mortgage or car payment being drafted from my checking account, but I would be very hesitant to do that with any sort of "variable" bill like a utility or D*. For example, my water meter was once misread and my bill was nearly $1,000. If that had been auto-drafted, I'd have had a huge problem. I prefer to auto-draft those items from a credit card (specifically AMEX) so that I have an extra layer of protection from any errors.

8. dhhaines

dhhaines Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    They do still charge you on your "bill date" with credit cards, not on the "due date".

9. chevyguy559

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Sorry to bump my old thread, but I can't seem to figure out how to turn AutoPay off in my account....do I have to call in?:confused:

10. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    You can cancel paperless statements, but I haven't seen any place to cancel AutoPay. I have both set up and so far haven't had any problems. It does post immediately on the statement date, but that really doesn't matter since my credit card payment isn't due until about 20 days later.

Also, you can check your bill prior to it posting to your credit card. Two days prior to your billing date, you can see your billing and credits that will be on the statement. Just click on "Activity since last bill" on the "Account Details" page.

11. igator99

igator99 Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
    Get out of auto pay NOW! Don't listen to these fan boys. D* will be bending you over with the auto pay.

12. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I have been auto-pay since 1997 and don't consider myself a D* Fan-boy, However I do montor my account online so my bill has never been incorrect or over charged.

But then again, I'm not changing stuff every 5 minutes on my account either.

13. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

I had autopay with E* 4 years,no problem.Now with D* autopay 3 years no problem.I must be a E*and D* Fanboy.;):D

14. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, autopay gets charged immediately (not on the due date). I've been using it for over 2 years, mainly because I like getting the CC points (I put as much on a CC as I can), and haven't had any real issues. Twice I was overcharged for something, but received a credit on my next bill with one phone call.

15. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

I find this very interesting as autopay does not take out my payment until the date stated on my online bill.

16. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    My bill is processed on the 9th of every month and I always get an Email saying that my bill is now ready for viewing on that day. When I go to look, it's always a balance of zero as my cc has already been charged.

Just logged onto my account and it shows a current balance of zero with this notation:

Last Payment
    $97.00 on 06/09/09

17. Deputy Fife

Deputy Fife Cool Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Yes, you have to call in and talk to a CSR. I just cancelled auto-pay and that was the only way I could find to do it.

18. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

OK if the 9th was the date described on the bill as when payment is due then mine is the same.

19. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Do you have it set up with your bank account or with a credit card? I have a credit card set up and it posts to my credit card on the statement date. Bank accounts may be different.

20. dconfer

dconfer Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    I have mine taken out of my checking account and it comes out a day or two before the bill due date. Statement is generated on the 19th and bill is taken on the 2nd.