1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

AV on\off punch through

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by JeffBowser, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    MY TV automatically turns itself off when it see no input. Hence, on my HR20-700, I'm trying to see if there is anyway I can have the ON and Off buttons on the remote control the AV and DirecTV receivers instead of the DTV amd TV.... Yeah, I know I can slide the switch to AV1 and press the PWR button, but I am lazy, and I am trying to make this as simple as possible for the family.... (Sony receiver, if it makes a differ)

2. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    I think you're out of luck there, bikini lady.

3. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    Aw crud. I'll pass your regards to my bikini lady, anyway :lol:

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    It seems to me it can be done, I'm not sure I could tell you properly. You need to contact "Edmund" here on DBSTalk, the "Remote Authority"

5. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    You might get volume control of an AV receiver but not power.
    You could run a separate video feed from the HR20 using the other choice (component/HDMI). Although your receiver would stay on.
    Maybe you can judge how long before bed and use the sleep timer on the amp.

6. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    My amp doesn't have a sleep timer, but I punched the volume through just fine. All I am left with is the power punch-through. I programmed my MX500 to serve instead of the DirecTV remote for now, good enough, with selective use of macros. I'll see if I can find this Edmund, thanks guys.

7. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    I'm here, but I'm here with bad news. :( Sorry but you can't prevent the DVR/ Tv ON & OFF keys from controlling your Directv receiver. And the those keys can't control AV receiver at all. :(

8. JeffBowser

Dec 21, 2006
    Oh well. Thanks for your input, though.

9. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Looks like it's time to look for a remote replacement. Wan't particularly in love with it anyway.

10. code4code5

code4code5 Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    What about using the AV receiver code to program the remote under TV mode? Use the AV1 mode to control the TV... could work, maybe.

11. Vcook

Vcook Mentor

Sep 28, 2007
    bummer, so no chance of the on/off keys doing that function for the TV, reciever, and an AVR?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.