1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Avengers

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by dpeters11, May 6, 2012.

1. May 6, 2012 #1 of 37
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    We saw this today, in one word, awesome. Action and also at times hilarious. It is definitely not needed to see it in 3D. I did not.

For those that haven't seen some of the previous films, I would at least see the Iron Man films and Thor before seeing this one.

2. May 6, 2012 #2 of 37
    Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    Captain America would work as well if you want a pre Avengers movie.

But I agree with the OP. Great movie.

3. May 6, 2012 #3 of 37
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Yes, excellent movie. We saw it in 3D, but only because the other shows were already sold out. I think it runs about 2:20, but it didn't seem like that at all (although my bladder was screaming by the end).

4. May 6, 2012 #4 of 37
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    True, but less important from a plot point. Thor is more important to see than Iron Man, but those should not be missed.

And did the two of you stay for the second credit scene at the very end?

5. May 6, 2012 #5 of 37
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Excelent film...

And I would put the Thor movie very much as a must see before going.
    The others would be good, but can be watched later.

As for the 2nd credit... We didn't, we saw the first and thought that was it.
    Seen it on YouTube though.

6. May 6, 2012 #6 of 37
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Great movie. Yes, Thor is a must see before seeing the Avengers. Pretty much tells you the background of the villain.

I think us and few others in the theater understood what the after credit scene was about (when they are all sitting around eating). Funny stuff.

I saw it in 3D and agree that non-3D is just fine but the 3D is mostly subtle and IMHO adds to the experience. Not much "in your face" stuff which is good.

7. May 6, 2012 #7 of 37
    Wire Nut

Wire Nut Legend

Apr 6, 2012
    Watched most of this yesterday, missed quite a bit, never eating at Roberto's on movie night again. Missed about the last 30 minutes, long enough to see the Hulk's amazing smackdown on Loki and a wicked sucker punch:D
    Going to the matinee on a solid stomach sometime this week.

8. May 7, 2012 #8 of 37
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    No Steed, No Peel, not The Avengers.

9. May 7, 2012 #9 of 37
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I pretty much avoid 3D after I saw Tron. Especially when it's post production. Just not comfortable for me and not worth the price.

And it is The Avengers, just not those Avengers.

10. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Interesting. Avengers was on TV before The Avengers was a comic. That would be a huge lawsuit today.

11. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    'Puny God...'

12. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    The remake with Fiennes and Thurman was horrific.

13. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Saw all of the lead-in movies and went with the guys from work on Friday afternoon.
    We went to the 2D version in the Moore Warren Theater (Balcony with sit down food and bar service, very cool).
    Pretty good movie, the humor was a nice touch. Must have been hard to write and find equivalent things for the various characters (with such different abilities) to do.
    So why did Thor stop trying to slow the invasion through the portal and end up back down on the street fighting individuals? My archery enthusiast cubemate loved the arrow bending around the bow shot but then had a critique of improper Hollywood arrow shooting technique - sometimes Hawkeye gripped the arrow properly when shooting and others like he had a 5-pound-pull toy bow.

14. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Hopefully, this will get Joss Whedon back in good graces with the powers that be in Hollywood and we'll get more movies and TV series from him - haven't heard much from him since Dollhouse and Firefly and Serenity all died early. He co-wrote the story, wrote the script, and directed the Avengers. I think he's one of the best in the business in developing character interaction.

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm wondering if maybe he should do something like an HBO series.

16. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That's a good thought. It wouldn't have to be all adult nudie cursing either... just solid and interesting, and the kind of audience he develops will probably be big enough to sustain an HBO-type show where a typical network might cancel for low ratings.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Exactly. At one point I'd have possibly suggested Sci-Fi, but it would have been more difficult to handle the production costs, and after the switch to Syfy and the moving away from Science Fiction programming, it's not a clear fit.

18. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    For a change...we decided to go to the conventional theater and catch this flick.

It was pretty good and had plenty of action and special effects of course.

Seeing the group of Avenger members was pretty entertaining, each bringing their own flair. Some humor laced throughout was also a welcome treat.

All in all - a "B" rating from our vantage point.

19. steinmeg

steinmeg Legend

Nov 23, 2006
    What does this have to do with DBS????