1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B-Band Converter Warning on Boot

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by HDTVFanAtic, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    I have searched the threads for keyword B-Band and do not see a thread on this. If there is one that I did not find, if you would be so kind to point me to it, it would be appreciated.

Over the last few days when the HR20 reboots, it takes first to a screen saying the B Band Filters are not installed and they need to be.

This is something new (at least for me).

The stranger part of this is that my B Band Filters ARE installed.

Anyone know what this is all about?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You can search for BBC as they are converter, instead of filters, but I haven't seen it on my two units, nor has it been mentioned.
    What software version do you have?

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Hmmm, might be a new software feature. I've not heard of any reports where the HR20 gave a message stating that the BBCs were missing.

4. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    It probably is to make customers put them on or if they don't have them anymore to get them and put them on because we are only a few months away now from needing them.

5. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    There will also be a new test channel up soon to test if the the BBCs are installed and working properly.

6. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    Interesting. I would guess that is exactly the reason.

I have the BBC's on one of my HR20s, not on the second...but haven't seen that message. Was hoping that the SWM would be officially released before the new HD content arrives -- if not, will have to dig out the BBC's for that box.

7. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    It sounds like the OP is quoting from a screen that calles them "filters" ... I wonder if DirecTV changed terminology again? This could cause confusion ...

8. ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    Weren't we supposed to remove them a while ago, to help out with something? I remember doing that, and they are sitting, disconnected, behind my HR20. Has whaterver we removed them for been fixed?

9. lucky13

lucky13 New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    Same here. One one HR20, not the other. Not sure if it's on the H20.
    When my second HR20 was installed, the tech disconnected the extra BBCs I had before hooking up the box. So I've found them, and have them ready.

10. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Only if you were getting "searching for satellite" errors with them connected. Try reconnecting them. They'll be needed when the new satellites are activated later this summer.

11. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    Thanks. I wasn't expecting 1 reply....so this many is helpful.

As for filters v BBC, I was typing late at night and sure I just zoned out making a mistake in terminology - not D* changing terms.

I am using the latest public release software which was forced fed Wednesday about 10 days ago - not either of the last 2 CE feeds.

Actually, this appears to be a channel - I thought it was 499, but when I try to punch in 499, it will not let me manually go to the channel.

It would make sense that it is in the 490 range as 490-494 are already test channels for SAT A, SAT B and SAT C. Quite frankly, I was very surprised they did not put in additional test channels for the Ka birds, but as they are not in Conus now, that might be coming later this year.

It is a full screen - showing a graphic of the BBC and stating that they need to be installed - and to contact D* (and even gives a telephone number on screen).

Full disclaimer - this HR20 is on my LA account. As everyone knows, D* has a major presence in LA - and also has 6 HD-LILs in place. I am wondering if 1) this is being experimented with in LA as they have so many engineers there 2) if this is due to the large number of LA HD-LIL in place now or 3) If this is trying to pick up those HD-LILs and since I am not in LA, the unit THINKS the BBC's must be on and that's why it assumes I am not picking up the stations?

Yes, but remember, THEY ARE INSTALLED and I am getting the warning on boot that THEY ARE NOT INSTALLED.

That is why I am wondering if it has something to do with not being able to see the spotbeam LA HD-LIL signals so it THINKS they are not installed?

12. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The channel will (I think) be 499. I just guessing that 495-498 will be for 99/103.

It would make perfect sense that they are testing the notice in LA for the reasons you gave. I also think you are spot on as to why you got the message.

Tried a reboot on one of my that does not have the BBCs on. No message here in Cleveland.

Just can't wait for the flood of service calls to install BBCs. :rolleyes:

13. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    Just spoke with another person in LA proper. Had them reboot their HR20 and no warning message.

Thus I believe it has to be because it is trying to pickup the LA Spotbeam signals and not finding it.

14. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    That might make sense except that the LA LiLs (as all current Ka spotbeams) do not use the B-Band (Ka-low).

15. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    I'm all ears if you can explain it then. I can get the screen everytime I reboot! It does not happen in LA.

16. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    What exactly does the message say? Does it make a difference if your BBCs are connected or disconnected?

17. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    It's a disguised test of the "move" detector :goofygrin

18. HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic Banned User

Jul 23, 2005
    Obviously, if I disconnect the BBCs, I doubt it would say they are connected.

19. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    The code is probably not that smart. If it thinks it SHOULD be getting a Ka signal (based upon the type of dish it thinks is attached) but doesn't see the channels and frequencies it expects, it probably just assumes the problem is missing BBCs.

20. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    That's exactly what I'm wondering .... does the HR20 actually sense their presence, or is it simply noticing that the B-Band signals are not yet present. And if that's the case, why is your HR20 unique in this regard?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.