1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b band converter

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by NickIndy, May 5, 2008.

1. NickIndy

NickIndy AllStar

Feb 19, 2008
    Is it really necessary to have the b band converters? I'm sure this has been covered in another thread but I could find it. I have 2 HR20-100 receivers. What happens if I disconnect them? I just don't like that there are 2 of them behind each receiver and they're a little hard to hide!

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    If you disconnect them you will lose all of the new MPEG4 HD channels.

3. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sure you can take them off. But you will lose all of your Mpeg4 HD channels. At this point that will be every HD channel other than those in the 70's and possibly your locals.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You can move them some distance from the DVR, but must keep the orientation the same (they are directional, pigtail points to receiver). They are designed to be used at the receiver location, but many people on these forums have moved them anywhere from ten to fifty or more feet away and had them still work properly.

They are indoor only, they have no weather protection. If you do move them to a less conspicuous location, keep them indoors. If you move them and have problems, move them back.

Carl

5. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Mine are in the cable junction box (weatherproof) on the outside of my house about 40 ft away, and they work fine. I did it for RF modulation purposes rather than aesthetics, since that was the best place for my diplexers. You could always stick a couple feet of coax between the BBC and you DVR.

6. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    unless you want to spring the $$ for a SWM8..

7. aim2pls

aim2pls Icon

Jun 18, 2007
    you need to understand what the b(lock) band convertor (BBC) does and why

1) it converts a block of frequencies from one range to another
    2) the higher the frequency range the higher the loss of signal over a length of wire

in the case of Directv .. this unit upconverts the HD (ka) frequencies from the TV spectrum (as carried from the dish) to a frequency band above the current bands used by the ku satellites to a range that the receiver can use

purposely giving the NON-techie answer .....

basically saying this ... you can put the BBC anywhere .. so long as the signal loss does not exceed a level that there is not enough signal as is required by the receiver