1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b-band problems!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by crazylegs, Dec 25, 2009.

1. crazylegs

crazylegs New Member

Dec 25, 2009
    I just installed a 5lnb dish with "D" and I do not get hd channels. I plug in b-band and hd channels pop up, but then I get searching for sat signal 771 message. At this point no channels come in. I unplug the b-band and put sat straight into reciever and get basic channels back with no hd. Can somebody please help?? :confused:

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

First off, if you do not have an HR23 or you do not have an SWiM install, you need the BBC's installed in order to receive your HD channels. The SWiM install means that you only have one cable going to your DVR receivers, but you can still use both tuners (record two items at once).

Once you have that set up, then we can address the 771 message that you are getting. Did you install the dish yourself? The HD channels are more prone to not coming in due to a misaligned dish than the SD channels. The SD channels have a little more leeway when it comes to signal strength. Check you signal strengths and post them here. Make sure to post the strengths for each satellite and transponder.

- Merg

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    * What model DVR/Receiver do you have? Look on the rear panel, or behind the front panel access card door.
    * How did you align the dish? It's not trivial to maximize the HD satellite (99, 103ºW) signals.

4. stilen621

stilen621 Legend

Dec 17, 2009
    Sometimes when I fire up a new HD receiver upon activation it will only show up SD channels. Try calling D** and let them know your getting only SD channels and no HD channels. Seems to work for me.

5. JGL

JGL AllStar

Aug 2, 2007
    I assume that you re-ran the satellite setup after you installed the 5 lnb dish?

6. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Could be a bad BBC!!!

Or poor dish alignment!!!

7. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    do you have an directv HD package?

8. hunter65

hunter65 Guest

I've got two perfectly working bbc's you can have.

9. Bofurley

Bofurley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    KS
    Question!
    Does the BBC switches have be be installed close to the receiver? Or can they be installed several feet away?
    Thanks

10. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    The just have to be installed inline to upconvert the signal but generally they are plugged into the DVR as marked on the BBC where it tells you which side goes toward the DVR plug.

11. crazylegs

crazylegs New Member

Dec 25, 2009
    I have an H20 reciever and I have hd package. Just can't figure out why I get 771 message when ever I hookb-band up.

12. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    On the BBC there is a Message that says Output To Receiver.

Did you hook that end to the Receiver? And the incoming Coax to the other end?

13. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The BBC's are directional. You must connect the end with the pigtail to the receiver. Typically if you move them away from the receiver a common mistake is to hook them up backwards.

14. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    we need the exact model of the dish.

was this self installed?

15. crazylegs

crazylegs New Member

Dec 25, 2009
    DIRECTV SLIMLINE DISH 5 LNB DISH KAKU HDTV HD SATELLITE is all I know about the model #. I did install myself and do not have a signal meter. I used the signal meter off of the reciever (H20).

16. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    Aren't they male on one end and female on the other, so you can't screw them up? ;)