1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Baby First TV -- stealing candy from babies

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mistagriffit, Dec 13, 2011.

1. mistagriffit

mistagriffit New Member

Dec 13, 2011
    I was a fan of DirecTV until a few days ago.

Using "Public Interest Obligation" law to justify moving Baby First TV, a standard-definition channel, to a satellite location that requires HD equipment.

In other words, getting Baby First TV "free" requires upgraded equipment, payment of a monthly access fee, and signing a fresh two-year commitment. first-year costs of at least $120, $219 if one is not eligible for a free equipment upgrade. $15 per month remaining in the new contract if one needs to cancel.

leveraging a "public interest obligation" requirement into a basically coercive HD migration marketing initiative. . .ka-ching!

i already have complained, and you can too. go to fcc.gov, select "complaint" on the upper right. I used the options for "satellite provider," "marketing communication," and "false or misleading." it's hard to find the selections that applied, but since they are advertising this change on Baby First, you can basically complain that DirecTV's advertising message is false.

Seriously, there is no way they have to put this channel on an HD satellite location. it's a freaking standard definition channel.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I'm puzzled. You're complaining that a channel that currently costs extra each month will become free in January. But it will require HD-compatible dish and equipment? Seems like after several months you would have paid off any "upgrade costs", especially since they'll install an HD dish for free when you upgrade your other equipment to HiDef.

Have you actually called them to discuss this situation? Perhaps they'll cut you a good deal?

Here's what the DirecTV site has to say about this change ....

How do I get BabyFirstTV™?
    Beginning January 16, 2012, BabyFirstTV™ will be included in all programming packages at no extra charge. You will no longer need to add it as an à la carte subscription at an additional charge. If you currently subscribe to BabyFirstTV™, the charges will stop in January.

You'll need to have an HD-capable reciever, HD dish, and HD Access ($10/month) to enjoy BabyFirstTV™. However, the content will still be broadcast in standard definition.

Below is a list of compatible DIRECTV receivers:

DIRECTV® HD Receiver: Models H20, H21, H23, H24, H25
    DIRECTV® HD DVR: Models HR20, HR21, HR21P, HR22, HR23, HR24, HR34
    TiVo® HD DVR from DIRECTV: Model THR22
    DIRECTV® DVR: Model R22

3. DarkLogix

DarkLogix Godfather

Oct 20, 2011
    so lets see what is the current monthly price?
    is it less than $10 if its 10 or more then it would mean the change would get you more for your money

4. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    And if you can swing it you might be able to save the $10 by getting free HD with auto bill pay.

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I think his complaint lies in that he does not have HD service/equipment.

6. adidas208

adidas208 Cool Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Quit youre crying and switch providers then. I am pretty sure dtv is the only provider of this channel.

7. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    I don't mean this to sound arrogant or anything. Why would anyone pay for this channel? My son was a year old when this station came about and I would never pay extra $$ to entertain him with a tv channel when I can go buy DVDs and VHS tapes cheaper and no monthly fee. I'm just wondering what the appeal of it was.

8. lacubs

lacubs Godfather

Sep 11, 2010
    maybe he doesn't have HD equipment?

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If the FCC didn't have an issue with them doing this with NASA TV in August, or God TV un January, they probably won't do much here either.

10. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Right. But DirecTV will provide an HD dish with free installation when HD Receivers/DVRs are added to the account. And even the $10/mo HD Package fee is waived if you sign up for paperless bill paying.

11. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    They pulled the same thing with the NASA channel.

I don't have any young children, but I DID enjoy watching the NASA channel with my non-HD subscription to DirecTV. If this "ploy" continues with more channels, I'll probably upgrade to satellite HD-just not from DirecTV since I don't like the way it's being done.

I also don't like the way DirecTV refuses to let subscribers smart enough to purchase and install their own slimline dish who posess an R22 to subscribe to their HD programming without a new commitment.

12. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    what about people in MPEG4 only local areas?

the R22 may be more a gray area and directv seemed to back off of there plans when it was rolling out at first.

13. xrobmn

xrobmn Legend

Oct 22, 2007
    We paid for it.. and still do. and glad it'll be free in January!.. The $4.99 that it costs is a fraction of the price of one Baby Einstine video.. plus, at night, when the wife is getting him to calm down for the night (he's 5 months old) she turns it on and it has baby lullibies.. (plus.. going into Toys R us/Babies R Us or any of those stores that carry that, the wife will never leave with just a video.. it's also an outfit.. toys.. and more things that I've ever seen in my life. heh)

To each their own.. I've gotten by 4.99 a month out of it.. but will never complain that it's free :)

14. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    Non mainstream channels are going to be moved to make room for channels that have a wider interest. You can buy an owned HD or HD DVR on here or other sites usually pretty cheap. Now if it's just for baby first you can determine if it's worth $10 a month for that channel however even on SD TV's HD channels look much better and would be worth it just for that.

15. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    I remember when kids used to go outside and play! These babies are getting lazy!

16. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1

17. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    For what it's worth, "current research" shows its not very helpful to plop young kids in front of a TV, anyway, actually stunting their development. My kids are loooong past the baby stage, but even to this day, I don't encourage them to vegetate in front of the TV; my kids only ever had antenna access in their rooms, and even then not until they were 13.

Anyway to be even somewhat on topic, its really getting to be past time that HD is treated as some special option and should be the basic service.

18. DarkLogix

DarkLogix Godfather

Oct 20, 2011
    I agree they should just drop all the SD recivers and have only HD

easy transition
    1. stop making the SD ones
    2. remove the $10 fee completely
    3. fix the HDgui's output to SD
    then in time all the SD recivers will go away

also have you seen the crap that kids watch these days? there've been studies that most TV for really young kids makes them dumber

19. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    Most of what is televised these days is crap, period. Hollywood is struggling, too, according to recent articles. I'll stop there before I go off on a rant that will have Stuart on me tail :lol:

20. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Color TV was introduced in the U.S. in 1954. Full color broadcasting didn't occur until 1966 or 1967. The use of black and white TV sets continued years after that. It was a long, slow transition. The same applies to the transition from SD to HD. A long, slow process. Read some of Satelliteracer's posts. He's explained several times why it's not easy going from SD to HD. As for the crap kids are watching on TV you can thank their parents for allowing them to do so.