1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back to DTV - best installer experience ever

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by KeyLimeVanBuren, Jan 6, 2012.

1. KeyLimeVanBuren

KeyLimeVanBuren New Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Well, after bemoaning the incredibly bad experience I had with the cable company's Optimum TV 'DVR +" I am happy to announce that I'm back with DirecTV.

The installer had to make a 1½ hour drive from Manhattan on the afternoon of New Year's Eve because he said there is a dire shortage of qualified installers in CT. The guy was great. He originally wanted to put the dish on the side of the house but actually listened to me when I suggested it'd be better on the roof. Once he took some sightings he agreed and got to work. He did the neatest install I've ever seen. Tight wiring secured every foot. Even the rain loops were the same size! He took down some of the old cable runs and cleaned up the ones that had useable RG6. Fast, efficient, neat and didn't talk to me as though I were a moron. Easily the best installer experience I've ever had. He earned his tip.

I'm getting nothing below 92 on any transponder. Most of them are showing 98, 99 even 100%. The best signal I've ever seen.

The HR34 is SWEEEEEET! It is so much faster than my old HR22-100, and even that was a pleasure to use compared to the Cablevision system. It may sound like a cheesy commercial, but everything is better with DTV. Picture, sound, responsiveness to pause, rewind, ff, all infinitely better than that cable nightmare, and now I've got 8 times the storage! I honestly don't know how the cable guys stay in business.

I explored the HR34's features for a while and then settled down to actually watching TV.bAfter a while I hit the pause button and it actually paused! No black screen telling me that I had 15 minutes of pause time. No painful lag time between pause and resume or rewind. It just worked as someone in 2011/12 would expect it to.

I realized then that I was not just happy to have DirecTV back, I was actually relieved.

2. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    I am in a Cablev ision are too, on LI. If I may ask what are you doing for home phone and internet? Cablevisions regular bundle price is a good deal compared using OOL and OV plus DirecTv. I do agree on the quality of DirecTv vs IO Tv. Enjoy the HR34!

3. Guttboy

Guttboy Legend

Sep 9, 2007
    KL, Great to hear on your install! I actually "suspended" my account due to a move to the mountains. VERY tough for me to figure out how DTV could get a signal due to the high pine trees in my area. The installer was OUTSTANDING.....aside from the confusion on my old equipment he actually changed my dish to a SWiM and was able to configure things to my satisfaction. The really neat thing was that my remotes were still in boxes several states away and he tossed in new remotes that he did not have to do. Kudos to him as I am sure that they came out of his pocket. Both of my old receivers were having "issues" HR20s and he swapped one of them out for a newer model that I am very happy with. My next step (after being with directv for years) is to figure out how to access VOD....multiroom viewing is not a requirement for us but I think I will give the installer a personal call to see what he can do. Great guy....great install....great customer service! He got a good tip from me as he did an outstanding job with the install. Cheers!

4. KeyLimeVanBuren

KeyLimeVanBuren New Member

Dec 22, 2011
    LI-SVT: Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I built a new PC for my girlfriend and spent most of the weekend transferring files and getting it tightened up with the latest drivers etc. On to your question:

After a several months with minimum cable and no internet, we originally went for the "Triple Play" deal Cablevision advertised. IO TV, Optimum Online, and Optimum voice for $101.35/mo. for two years.

As I detailed in my first post, the IO TV "DVR +" was barbaric compared to DTV. It took three weeks of struggling with the pathetic system to decide that enough was enough and we called DirecTV to sign back up.

We were within the first 30 days of getting the triple play, so even though we drop-kicked the TV portion, they honored the $29.99 each price on the internet and phone. What we lost was the $5 discount on the 'boost plus' internet upgrade, which went to $15/mo.

Current Cablevision services:
    Optimum Online: 50Mbps./8Mbps. $44.99 (including 'boost plus') Normal speed is 15Mbps. (still pretty darn fast) for $29.99/mo.

Optimum Voice: $29.99 (unlimited USA/Canada calling, voice mail and all the usual bells and whistles)

With two computers and the DirecTV DECA system networked I still think it's useful to keep the 50Mbps. upgrade speed, though I've never seen a server provide anything faster than 7.8Mbps. on downloads.

I'm looking into another VOIP provider. There is often noise on the line with the Optimum Voice and we don't call out much so other plans with limited outgoing minutes could save us another $15/mo.. It's not much, but it adds up.

5. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    Ah, they cut you a deal on the phone and Internet. The only discounts they will give me now are on the TV service. So I am also considering a different VoIP carrier.