1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back to the fold!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by chroma601, Aug 13, 2013.

1. chroma601

chroma601 Cool Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Sylva, NC
    Last winter I gave up DirecTV and moved to cable. Tomorrow morning the installer is coming to hook me back up.

Main reason I left was financial. On a fixed income, I had to cut back on programming to the point where I mostly got shopping channels. But things have improved a little since then (knock wood).
    I found the Motorola cable box to have an astonishingly clunky interface. I started to miss how DTV's remote dropped the program back a few seconds when you hit Play. I missed the suggestions. I missed the Android remote control and even more, the app that let me set up a recording from anywhere. I missed the PQ. Yes, D is better than my cable picture.

Recently the cable DVR started missing some recordings, or messing them up. When my wife lost Joy Behar's last show on The View, I was told to make the call.

Tomorrow we get a Genie. Hope it's a 44, but I suspect the 34 will run rings around the Motorola. Got ST of course, very happy there.

The grass was looking greener, but we're settling in for another two years of DTV. Nice to be back, I'm pretty excited about having the technology designed to enhance the television experience back.

Yes, DTV has its problems. Crazy fee structure. Occasional rain fade (but we lost cable more than we ever did Satellite). No bundled high speed internet where we are (keeping that part of cable). But all in all, it's a very advanced platform for viewing television, and I'm pretty excited about tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

2. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Awesome. Let us know how it goes tomorrow

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

3. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Be sure to tip the installer a Grant per Peds48 recommendation. !rolling

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's hilarious that you lost cable more than rain fade. That's one of the things cable companies make fun of.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

5. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Welcome back :)

http://youtu.be/QVS3WNt7yRU

-=K=-

6. Mariah2014

Mariah2014 Breaking the mold

Apr 21, 2006
    Somewhere...
    Beleive it or not, but because I have other services through the cable company here but I have had their service down more than I have ever had Directv go down. It is true they used to make fun of it, although I haven't seen it used in any commercials lately here, I think they have caught on that Satellite is poisbbly more realiable than they are now.

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I'd bet more on an injunction against false advertising. My experience parallels yours as to down time. Not to mention them throwing a throttle on my service from time to time!

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    My local Time Warner ran ads that suggested Roadrunner was faster than DSL because the cable was thicker. They haven't tried the same tactic against the phone company's fiber offering.

But then based on a DirecTV ad, it makes it look like you can simply pause a show and start playing it back at that spot from another room so marketing is generally a half truth no matter who it is.

9. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    It's been over a decade since I had cable, but I had the same experience of losing the cable much more than I lose Directv because of rain fade. A bad storm would knock the cable down and it would sometimes take days for them to get out and fix it.

10. chroma601

chroma601 Cool Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Sylva, NC
    Happy to say I'm delighted to be back. I was given an HR44, and it's a sweet machine. PQ blows away our cable system. So many extras, loving the Android remote and DirecTV app. I still use our cable company for internet. Just found out they had a major problem all morning yesterday and all my neighbors had no TV (except for other Satellite customers). Life is good.

11. chroma601

chroma601 Cool Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Sylva, NC
    Looking through the literature, I see the HR44 is supposed to have a new remote control. My installer left the older version. Is it worth fussing over?

12. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    No,not really I'am using my 65RB NFL Buffalo Bills remote and it works just as well as the rc71.Plus it has a stop button.

It cant hurt to request it and see if they send you one free.

But just get yourself a Buffalo Bills remote and you will be very happy.

13. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Nope, unless you need RF the remotes both function the same. There is also a lot of offices that have supply issues with the new remote from what I am hearing.