1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Background sounds only

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Wake Jitsu, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wake Jitsu

Wake Jitsu Cool Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Has anyone else experienced this? For some ABC programs (last night it was Boston Legal), sometimes at the beginning of the program all you can hear is the background noise, any music etc. You can hear the talking, but it's very very quiet. This happens for the first 5 minutes of the program or so, then the sound is back to normal.

We have to turn our volume way up to hear the dialog and then when the sound pops back to normal, it blows our ears off. It's really odd...you can hear rustling papers, doors closing, etc at normal volume, but not the talking.

2. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Yes I have had this occur a couple of times. At least once it was on Boston Legal. This is a source problem not a 622 problem. It is the broadcast station doing it as best I could tell.

At least you got to see BL last night! We had heavy weather comming through the area and saw nothing last night but the weather man and all his radar toys. Completely destroying both House and BL.

3. oljim

oljim Godfather

Aug 6, 2002
    Was this ota HD
    The station needs to flip a switch, no center ch output

4. Wake Jitsu

Wake Jitsu Cool Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Last night it was OTA, but I thought the 1st time it happened it was both OTA and satellite. Why would it fix itself after a few minutes?

5. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    The station fixed it when they were told of the problem. It did not fix itself.

6. Wake Jitsu

Wake Jitsu Cool Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Okay, but it's happened multiple weeks. If they're gonna flip the switch, shouldn't they leave it flipped?

7. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    One used to see this all the time back when HD was somewhat newer. The network would be showing a standard definition show, and a high definition show would start, and the network would forget or otherwise fail to switch the audio or video to the high definition feed.

Hence, one would be watching the SD version for a few seconds and then, all of a sudden, the HD version would kick in. And yes, one could also be watching the HD video but with stereo sound, or with just the L/R channels of a Dolby Digital mix (i.e. no center and no surrounds). This is almost certainly a source problem and not a Dish Network problem.

8. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    As I understand it they have to change configurations depending on the program being broadcast. HD vs SD. DD 5.1 vs non-DD etc. I don't really know what all is involved but it's apparently not as automatic as we may have thought. Engineers still have jobs.

9. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    A lot depends on the installed hardware. One of our PBS stations has constant problems with DD. I talked to the engineer about it and he said that even though their switching is suppose to be automatic "something" in PBS's stream is causing it not to switch. However, we have another PBS station that, apparently, has different equipment and they never have a problem.

A lot of this technology is fairly new and the vendors are still getting the bugs out. The best thing to do when you see (or hear) a problem is to call the station.

10. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004

As difficult as it is nowadays to actually reach someone by telephone, I think the program would be over by the time you tried to reach the correct department then get someone on the line to talk to. I tried to get in touch with our local ABC affiliate when they broadcast an entire program in 4:3 instead of 16:9. Nowhere could I find a phone number to contact anyone. Very frustrating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.