1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad DECA?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by KSbugeater, Jan 17, 2013.

1. KSbugeater

KSbugeater Godfather

Feb 17, 2005
    I have a HR21 that keeps rebooting. I noticed the lights on the DECA (white box) would go on and off. I ran diagnostics on it. It failed the BER test with a 6802 error.

How do I know if the error lies with the DECA or the hr21 not powering the DECA?

2. FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver All Star/Supporter

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    Try disconnecting the DECA totally. You don't need it for the DVR to work stand-alone.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    True, but without the DECA, you need a BSF to prevent the DECA signal from getting to the receiver. Plus, it sounds like the OP would want the DECA as I assume they are in a Whole Home environment.

- Merg

4. FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver All Star/Supporter

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    I was only suggesting it as a diagnostic step, not a solution.

What problems (if any) does not having the BSF in place cause?

5. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Some receivers when they cant communicate with the SWM will do random reboots. DECA's that randomly communicate with the cloud would have flashing lights. You should look at cables and connectors.

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    By not having the DECA or the BSF, the DECA frequency gets to the tuners in the receiver, which could cause signal issues and can possibly damage the receiver.

- Merg

7. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Do you have a DECA on another receiver in the house? If so, try swapping the DECA's on the two receivers. Then wait to see where the problem occurs. If it moves to the new receiver, then the DECA is the problem. If it stays with the original receiver, then the receiver is the problem.

8. KSbugeater

KSbugeater Godfather

Feb 17, 2005
    After I left the diagnostic, it booted up and has been working normally. If it acts up again, I will swap DECAs with another receiver. I switched all of the boxes to static IPs outside the DHCP range (as I had before I switched routers) so we'll see if that helps things. The power went off the other day and I wonder if boxes were fighting over assigned IPs or something.