1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Bad drive?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by miggo, Aug 4, 2012.

1. miggo

miggo AllStar

Feb 28, 2007
    I just reactivated my service with Directv. I turned on my trusty OWNED (Important note here) HR20 and tuned in several channels. Everything worked great for about 10 minutes. Then the picture locked up and nothing worked. I waited about 15 minutes before doing anything and then pressed the reset button. Now when it turn on I get a message shortly after the receiver self check starts that states "A problem has been detected in the storage device" blah blah blah ... I have tried to reboot a few time with no luck. It there a more complete test to help identify the issue? Since this is a owned receiver I may try to swap drives but I don't want to ruin my drive if the problem is elsewhere.

Thanks, Mike

2. miggo

miggo AllStar

Feb 28, 2007
    It has been a while since I used this system. I forgot I had connected a 2TB esata drive to this when I used it last. I did not connect because of a failed internal drive though, I just wanted the storage. Anyway, I just hooked it up and the trusty HR 20 formatted the drive and it is booting. Looks like I do have a failed internal drive. I may just install this drive in the device now. Or not, the esata setup has been pretty solid.

Thanks again, Mike

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You used to be able to his SELECT when it first pops up the Receiver self test message, and have access to a slew of options.