1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Experience with Overseas Customer Service Rep.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by HDSC, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Jul 7, 2013 #1 of 20
    HDSC

HDSC AllStar

Jan 8, 2012
    NOTE TO READERS: I called back 2 days later and got everything I had wanted to start with. So the members here know what they are talking about when they say call again later. Thanks to all who posted about this here and on other post!!

Below was my original post:

From the land of "No Problem!!!" How may I assist you today my name is XXXXXXXXXXXX and who do I have the pleasure of speaking with? And it went downhill from there!

I am eligible for a new upgrade because of my Protection Plan status and my 2yr commitment is almost up, So I went from wanting to upgrade to ready to cancel service and I am an old customer from the 90's. I have three cable companies with lines in my yard already. Comcast, Knology, & ATT-U-verse and they all have special offers to get new signups.

Anyway, I told her what I wanted and you could tell she was reading a script or looking at a computer and slowly reading and she kept say Uh-Huh, I was wanting a Genie and a client and to swap out my HR21, HR23 and two H21 for two HR24's. And I wanted to find out why the autobill pay credit had stopped Uh-Huh. I was on the Phone for 48 minutes and finally I asked are you even in the United States? But I have to give her credit she did tell me NO. Which I already knew do to her accent and word cadence. And I asked about my Sunday Ticket, so she sent me to Sunday Ticket department and I was so mad that I just cancelled that, Heck I get redzone from Verizon anyway and they offered me 6 payments of 29.99 plus tax. No thank you!

I read about all these good deals and or credits some people here are getting, and heck I can't even get one that can read a computer screen and give me the upgrades they have listed on my account page!.

So I went from upgrading my receivers to cancelling Sunday ticket. I really have been a loyal customer but this was totally unacceptable. I even told the Customer service rep that I went from upgrading to canceling and she said: "Uh-Huh I see" I will.........

All I can say, I could give a crap about them buying HULU! How about handling your core business customers first!

2. Jul 7, 2013 #2 of 20
    booboo

booboo New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    From my experience. I would never call on a weekend because I usually end up talking to "jack" from India. Call during the week, also if you get a foreign CSR ask to be transferred to the USA. It has worked for me.

3. Jul 7, 2013 #3 of 20
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I thought I read someplace that DirecTV (US) doesn't have any CSRs overseas anymore. I know in my last 10-12 phone calls over the past 3 years, they have all been in the US.

4. Jul 8, 2013 #4 of 20
    dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    I thought I read someplace that DirecTV (US) doesn't have any CSRs overseas anymore. I know in my last 10-12 phone calls over the past 3 years, they have all been in the US.

They don't have overseas centers anymore... But still doesn't mean you will get someone that speaks perfect English each time. Although most of the call centers are in areas with lower foreign populations (Boise, Oklahoma, Denver....) you may still get someone with broken English. Unfortunately, people hear broken English and automatically assume the person isn't in the US.

With that aside it still doesnt account for the horrible customer service the OP received...

5. Jul 8, 2013 #5 of 20
    HDSC

HDSC AllStar

Jan 8, 2012
    All I can say is I asked Point Blank after about 40 minutes into the call, are you even in the United States? And she hesitated for a pregnant pause and then replied NO! In my past calls the CSR would say I'm located in Alabama, or Florida or XX State. So I'm not buying that they do not outsource overseas, unless you got more proof than your typing "dishintout". .

6. Jul 8, 2013 #6 of 20
    Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I called last weekend and the CSR told me she was in Tel Aviv

7. Jul 8, 2013 #7 of 20
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Never rely on 1st level CSRs for requesting upgrades like this. Beyond handling billing matters they have very limited authority if any to do things like upgrade deals such as the one you are asking for.

Ask for the Customer Retention Dept. for that, and go from there.

And remember to always remain polite to them to the end, believe me it really helps grease the wheels ....

8. Jul 8, 2013 #8 of 20
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    CSR's are a luck of the draw. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don't. In your case it was the later. Your goal was to gather information about the Protection Plan upgrade offer and to find out why your auto bill pay credit had stopped. By your own admission your conversation with the CSR quickly went downhill. The logical step would have been to terminate the conversation and try again later. Instead, you "chose" to spend more than 48 minutes talking with Miss Uh-Huh and getting nowhere fast. On top of that you got mad and made a decision using your emotions instead of your logic and canceled your subscription to Sunday Ticket causing you to have less than what you started with! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. :sure:

9. Jul 8, 2013 #9 of 20
    ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    MysteryMan has put it very well. I decided within a minute or two of beginning the conversation if this is the rep I need to be speaking with. If not end the call and call back. If I have any difficulty understanding them they may not even get my account info before I tell them I'll need to call back. No need to get the blood pressure up, just try again latter.

10. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    They do have an overseas call center in the Phillipines, none in Tel Aviv, none in India. That being said if your'e calling hoping to get a deal they're not authorized to give you anything, just say thank you, hang up, and try again.

11. HDSC

HDSC AllStar

Jan 8, 2012
    'On top of that you got mad and made a decision using your emotions instead of your logic and canceled your subscription to Sunday Ticket causing you to have less than what you started with! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. :sure:"

Yes its my right to spend my discretionary dollars where I wish to. I used to drive Chevrolet trucks until 1992 when I had an Issue with quality (Lemon) and got no help, so I switched to Ford Pickups in my business (My company has probably bought (50) F250 thru F550 since then. So since I'm the customer I control my emotions with my billfold. So I might not get out of market Football on Sundays (I only watched the Dolphins :bang and my Grandson the Cowboys :rotfl: ) . But, I get all the NFL, SNF, MNF via mobile which I can send to my screen from my Verizon Samsung Phone to my Samsung TV, so I can live without Sunday Ticket for a year. In fact, according to Forbes and WSJ this might be a moot point next year anyway. So I really didn't shoot myself in the foot, it just grazed my ankle. :grin: Oh and for the record, I was polite despite being pizzed.

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    So, don't call on weekends, terminate politely if you detect an accent or absence of intelligence, and do not try to address more than one matter at a time.

Best of luck.

13. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I'd say you were overly polite seeing how you spent over "48 minutes" talking with Miss Uh-Huh and getting nowhere.

14. HDSC

HDSC AllStar

Jan 8, 2012
    Thanks for all the feedback and the humorous replies about my recent CSR experiences. I've decided to give it one more chance tomorrow. Yes despite the 771 signal fade / rain fade issues, I have been a DTV customer since they only had a 101 satellite in the 90's, so I understand that part. I already have Comcast Internet and my house was pre-wired so changing carriers will not be a problem (and yes we lose signal with cable also but not due to Weather systems). I hope I can give it another two years, but I have decided to leave if I must. Wish me LUCK!! Maybe I will get one of those CSR's that some have posted in the last few weeks with respectable deals!!!

15. HDSC

HDSC AllStar

Jan 8, 2012
    Well I made the call this morning and it all worked out just fine. Spoke to a wonderful CSR in Idaho :hurah: and she looked at my acct and said I was a VIP and she had lots of things she could do for me. Like free Sunday Ticket Max, and several bill credits that were in line with the best ones I had seen reported here earlier. And I got a new Genie and clients also.. So I just renewed for 24. But the funny thing is the verification person I spoke with at the end was from overseas! So the moral to the story - Speak with MS. Uh-Huh last!!!! :grin: :righton:

16. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Hahaha that is funny, glad it worked out for you. And I had the same situation with the verification person, funny thing is he did not end the conversation properly and left me on the line without a closing statement. I thought he had put me on hold so I'm waiting on the phone for about 2 minutes and he comes back on the line wanting to know how he could help me. I tell him I did not understand that we were finished with the process and he tells me the order is confirmed. Well that is good to know!

17. haas

haas Cool Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Glad to read it worked out! The people in CRG are really great to work with in my opinion.

18. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    OH NO! It wasn't long ago that I had an issue and got one of those "script readers" who are less than helpful and have no idea of the technical workings of DirecTV's equipment. Just hang up after you realize where your call has been routed. You just waste your time otherwise.

I was trying to swap out my legacy Hughes receiver per the "EPG swap" program which provides a FREE replacement with no commitment but the off shore CSR had NO IDEA what I was talking about and insisted that what I wanted to do was add a new receiver with a commitment and a charge! Bye bye!! <click>

19. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010
    I tried that once with a phone company after talking with "Jason" for ten minutes and getting nowhere I asked to be transferred to a supervisior in the U.S. He gave me the U.S. supervisor's "direct number". I called and in the background you could here the same people talking and the same music playing. and the "supervisor" spoke worse English than Jason did.

20. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    AFAIK - All verification agents are over seas. It's third party to ensure the integrity is kept on both sides of the deal that has been agreed upon.