1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad LNB or/and bad Multiswitch?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Renard, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Lately, i have noticed that my signals strengths were dropping on odd Tps on sat 101. I tried to tweak my dish, but nothing changed on sat 101, but i have better readings now on sat 103b, 99, 110,119 and 101 :D :)
    I have good signals on the following sats:
    Sat 99= 98%
    Sat 103a= 0% on all Tps (spotbeams nothing to be worried)
    Sat 103b= Range from 92-97%
    Sat 110=95%
    sat 119= Range from 89-93%
    Sat 101= even Tps 90+ range, odd Tps are pretty low (50-60%)

With these readings, it eliminates the alignment problems for sure :D

My questions are the following:

1: Do you think i have a bad LNB on sat 101, or is it the multiswitch, or both?

2: If i have a problem with one of those, i should call Directv and schedule an appointment, I don't have their service plan, so i think i have to pay $70, no matter what the installer will change? Am i right?

3: Once the installer is here, should i tell him to change the dish and the multiswitch and be sure to get rid of the problems, or should i listen to him if he only wants to change the dish and or the multiswitch?

4: If i am not satisfied with the signal strengths after he changed the dish and the multiswitch, ,and i don't want to sign the paper work. What does it mean for me, or for him? Can I write something on the paper work such as " I am not happy with the signal strengths (too low).

5: If he leaves the house, and I didn't sign the paper work, what should I do after? Do I have to pay another $70 if another installer comes to my house?

Thanks a lot for your help :D

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Well, 99 and 101 are both requested using the same voltage/tone (13V no tone), and 103 is requested using the same as 110 and 119.

As far as 103(a), I am in Seattle and see transponder 3 at 67. You are correct in that it is a spot beam we do not get, and the distance between us could easily result in that being zero for you. I get zero on all other 103(a) transponders.

On 99, I get the following: 0, 94, 0, 87, 0, 0. So there are no odd transponders that we can see. I'm usually higher on 2 and 4, but it's raining very hard here right now.

So we can't really use any of the other satellite transponder readings to validate or not your wiring for 101 odd (as you don't see any 99 odd).

Possible causes: LNB assembly. Wiring or connector on the 13V no tone line going into the multiswitch, or between the multiswitch and the receiver, multiswitch itself.

First step, visually inspect everything. Make sure connections are secure, clean, dry and not corroded.

Second step, bypass the multiswitch (use barrel connectors) and go directly to a receiver and see if the problem remains or is corrected.

Because you have a multiswtich, you probably have multiple receivers. If any of the others are hi-def, do they also show the same problem?

Carl

3. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Yep because I live up North i don't receive any 103a spotbeams (i am not worry about it, It might be some Oregon spotbeam)

I can see the problems on my Hr20 and my Tivo as well, i have low reading on odd Tps, but the thing that is weird is that on my Hr20 and my Tivo the signal reading are higher, but there is still a 20% difference between odd and even Tps :confused:

I have to check the LNB on my side car and unscrew the bolts underneath to see if the connections are good and not corroded.

Do you think at this point I should change the whole thing and have the new slimdish and a new Zinwell? Like that i will get rid of the problems

I am not worry if the installer doesn't align the dish correctly, i can do it, it's pretty easy to align this dish

By the way could you tell me your readings on sat 101 :D

Thank you

4. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    I know that carl6 doesn't need me to "white knight" him but that was a well thought out troubleshooting tree. I assume that you are using a WB68 multiswitch so, based on your intel and carl6's tree, I would suspect the AT9 LNB.
    The AT9 LNB's are hard to find these days so it might be time for a slimline.

5. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Yep i am using a WB68

6. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Just called Directv to schedule an appointment to fix the problem.

Can i require that the installer changes the dish and the multiswitch, or the installer will decide what it has to be replaced?
    I would like to have a new dish and a new WB68. :D

7. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Depends on the installer, but most likely he will only replace what is causing the problem.

8. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Well i think i have a good chance that he will replece the dish because i have the side car, and i think i have a bad LNB. i have heard that the AT 9 is discontinued, and LNBs for this dish are pretty hard to find. :)

9. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    I know that you just called them but you need to make sure that the slimline is listed on the work order and not just mentioned in the notes.

I f you want to call D* again, get through the CSR and to a level 2 tech. Convince the tech (tell him/her that you are sure) that you have a LNB problem and ask him to list the dish on the work order. You can normaly reason with a tech while a CSR will just follow the script. If the dish is not listed on the work order, It is unlikely that the installer will have a spare on the truck.

10. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    This post is strictly as an FYI for anyone else who reads, but an installer who visited me said, at least in this area following QC inspections, they were being instructed to replace all AT-9s with Slimlines. I declined the offer to replace, as my AT-9 is a Wistrom NeWeb, which has seemed to be less prone to failure than some others. I had ordered and installed the dish myself, so it's possible I got a model that was not part of the "problem" models previously installed in this area. Still take techrep's advice of course - this is just an FYI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.