1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Modem on HR20-100

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Sander, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sander

Sander Godfather

Jun 3, 2007
    This morning I discovered all my phones were dead. After some troubleshooting and calling the phone company, I discovered my HR20-100 had tried to phone home last evening but failed to disconnect properly and thus left my phone line open. I reset the line by simply unplugging the phone line and re-inserting it.

However, an hour or so later, I found my phones dead again. Same problem.

I called DirecTV and a great CSR (Kathy) arranged to send me a free replacement HR20. We had a great conversation ranging from needed improvements in the HR20 software to the Direct10 launch last night to the future of HD programming. :)

Aside from having to lose all my movies when the new unit arrives, I am very pleased with how helpful she was.

QUESTION: Anyone else experienced such a problem with the modem?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Modems seem to be pretty reliable in the HR20 DVRs. Problems like this sometime occur when the phone cord is accidentally connected to the HR20's Ethernet jack instead of its phone jack.

3. Sander

Sander Godfather

Jun 3, 2007
    Not in this case. The Ethernet port is connected to my wireless game adapter. Besides, the Ethernet jack is RJ45 and the telephone jack is RJ11. The HR20 had connected successfully on June 19, so it was working then. Hmmmm. I wonder if this is a bug in the new 0168 release. I believe on June 19, I was still using 0x015.

4. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Do a modem test and see what happens...I'm pretty sure that picks up the line, listens for tone and hangs up. If it hangs on that ya got yourself a problem.

If you really want to make sure it's not something else...make sure nothing else is on that line at the time...like a DSL modem or security system.

5. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    757 & 718
    I am having the same problem with my HR20-100, When i connect it to my HR 20-100 to my POTS and then pick up the phone i get static and no dial tone, but then when i unplug my HR20 my POTS works fine.

whats strange is that it was working fine a few days ago, but i guess my HR20-100 had the same issue trying to "phone home" http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.