1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Slimline LNB

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mgp777, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgp777

mgp777 Cool Member

Sep 18, 2007
    I bought a new Slimline on eBay. I think the LNB may have a problem. I am getting very poor signal strength on the 101. I have an old Oval 3 still hooked up and I get mid to high 90's on the 101 on it.
    The best I have gotten on the Slimline is about 60. I thought my wall mount location might be causing this but I got up on the roof with the dish and same result.
    The 119 signal is maxed out(With the dish pointed due south, Ft. Worth location) and the 110 is about the same as the 101.
    Any ideas?

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Did you follow the specific, detailed, alignment instructions? If not, then I would repeat alignment before doing anything else. Is the mast absolutely perfectly plumb? If not, fix that first. The 5-LNB is a more difficult dish to install and align, and little things that don't get in your way with round or 3-LNB dishes will mess up the 5-LNB.

After checking all of those, then I might look at the LNB.

Carl

3. mgp777

mgp777 Cool Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Yes, with bubble on J-Tube centered and Az-182, Tilt-84.5 and El-52.5(Ft. Worth TX)
    I have an initial reading of 56 on 101. After adj Az a little get 60 on 101 and about same on 110. 119 is high 90's.

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I responded to your post on the other forum.
    My first question was - are you getting programming from 101? If not, you may be lined up on the wrong satellite - how many transponders do you see?
    If you are lined up correctly on 101, after you have adjusted the azimuth for maximum signal, what happens when you adjust the coarse elevation? Remember all the numbers you have used to point the dish are only starting points. You have to follow the exact instructions in the installation manual if you are going to align the dish properly, and even then you may have to adjust the alignment to get decent signals on 103(b).

5. mgp777

mgp777 Cool Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Good idea, I have only been looking at signal strength. I have not tried to watch anything. However, given my location(Ft. Worth) and the direction my dish is pointing( about 182), I doubt I am looking at the wrong bird. As far as El goes my initial 52.5 wound up a couple of degees higher whan I started to try and maximize the 101 signal.

Thanks for the quick responses guys...

6. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Why did you buy your own dish?

Why not let DIRECTV buy the dish for you and do the installation free of charge? Once they leave you can still tweak til your heart's content.

There will be a 24 month contract extension to have them do all of that.

If you are intending to leave DIRECTV soon, why spend the month on the dish at all?

If you intend to stay why are you paying for free hardware and doing your own installations?

- Craig

7. mgp777

mgp777 Cool Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Q: Why did you buy your own dish? If you intend to stay why are you paying for free hardware and doing your own installations?

A: I have installed my own(2) and several other dishes for friends/family. I like doing my own installs because I know that 1) It will be done right. 2) It will be mounted where I want it, 3) I like doing my own wiring.

Q: Why not let DIRECTV buy the dish for you and do the installtion free of charge? Once thye leave you can still tweak til your heart's content.

A: I have called D and they are going to do an install this Wed. I am going to have them use the Slimline mount I have already installed on my south wall. I will not allow a roof mount on my new $7000 roof. If they refuse to put the dish where I want it I will send them home, order another dish and press on.

Q: If you are intending to leave DIRECTV soon, why spend the month on the dish at all?

A: I have no plans to leave D. I've been with them from the start.

8. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Have you tried tilt adjustment?

Carl

9. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
  10. mgp777

mgp777 Cool Member

Sep 18, 2007
    To previous question, Yes I have tried tilt.

I have watched the AT9 video 5 or 6 times and the model specific video (Slimline) 3 times. I have no doubt I could fine tune the dish. But until I can get more than 60 on 101/110 there is no point in going any further.

Thanks for all the ideas guys...

11. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    mgp777: Did you carefully check this? You'll find it extremely difficult to adjust your dish unless the mast is perfectly plumb, because every time you adjust one parameter, you are simultaneously and unknowingly adjusting other parameters by unknown amounts.

Other than that, your eBay Slimline's LNB may indeed be bad, as carl6 suggested. Was it new-in-box? What brand is that LNB?

12. mgp777

mgp777 Cool Member

Sep 18, 2007
    I re-checked the bubble and it is centered. The Dish was bought on eBay - advertised as new, and looking at all the components it does look new. One item I did not mention is that the box must not have been packed very well as something dinged the back right side( looking at the Dish from the front) of the Dish in shipment. The dings are only visable if viewed at an angle. I used a plastic mallet to try and smooth out the irregularity and you can barely feel them from the front. Could this be causing the poor reception of 101. I only mention this because I went back and played with the tilt again and when I really tilt the crap out of the dish (ie. set to 60 vs the starting point of 84) then I get plenty of signal on 101 but 119 obviosly drops to un-accepable levels.

13. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    Did you ever confirm that you're getting any actual programming? Does the Guide populate? Do you receive Ch. 201? It sounds like you're aimed at the wrong satellites.

If yes, then that dish may be more damaged than you think....

14. mgp777

mgp777 Cool Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Yes after really cranking the tilt, I had enough signal strength to view live tv. Checked several 101 channels and verified I was looking at 101.

The whole tilt thing does lead me to believe the 101 focal point is screwed up due to those minor dings.

D is supposed to come today, we'll see what happens when a new dish is put up.

15. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    It sounds like it must also be warped. Keep in mind that the dish is centered on the 101's, so the tilt shouldn't be that far off to begin with. Looking forward to a report on tomorrow's resolution of your issues.

16. mgp777

mgp777 Cool Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Well D finally showed up a day late. Installers truck broke down causing delay. The good news is that in fact, there was a problem with my dish. He did not think the small dings were the problem, he thought the LNB was damaged in shipment. Using my mount he quickly dialed in the alignment and finished up the install. Other than the delay, it was a good install.

Thanks to all who chimed in with ideas...

17. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    Excellent news and thanks for the follow-up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.