1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Bad SWiM LNBs

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Mark40930, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Mark40930

Mark40930 Mentor

Aug 2, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    This weekend, lost signal on my R16 in the living room. Reset failed to restore, was still getting good signal on the HR24 and D12, except 771 on test channel 9502 (101 even TPs). Called up D*, had Protection Plan agent roll a tech out today.

After swapping out the LNB, everything is back up and running.

The tech told me about 4 months ago (coincidentally with my HR24 install), they received a batch of faulty SWiM LNBs which have been failing, and I was the 5th straight LNB swap of the day he had.

Was curious if other HSAs had the same problem in their areas like this. I still have the old unit if lot numbers or serials are needed.

2. rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    I seem to recall very shortly after the first SWiM LNB's came out a similar issue happened where the bad LNB's in question couldn't take freezing at all. The first cold snap and whammo a whole mess of people with issues.

Like any consumer electronics QC problems happen.