1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Bad Video on Just One Channel

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tonypitt, Oct 1, 2013.

1. tonypitt

tonypitt Legend

Jul 19, 2007
    I've discovered recently that for some reason my local NBC station and my DVR don't seem to get along. All of my other channels seem to be fine. With NBC it has become very common for shows that are recorded to demonstrate a video 'tearing' type effect that makes the show unwatchable. This is not happening based on weather. Since it is just one channel doing this, I wouldn't think that it would be things like dish alignment. I cannot imagine that it would be a problem with the original broadcast signal.

Can anyone suggest a solution or things to investigate?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe this is happening on both of my DVRs.

Thanks.

2. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Have you checked your sat signals on each tuner and on all the transponders?

"Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength". Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners.

3. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Post on the local thread for AVS and see if it is happening to others in your market. Call the Chief Engineer at the station and tell him/her; they want to know. It is very unlikely that this is a signal strength issue, unless what you refer to as "tearing" is equivalent to classic macroblocking or tiling.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    It's a problem with a few NBC stations around the country. Supposedly DirecTV is aware and working with the affected stations. But it's taking a very long time. Often these sorts of situations require the station to spend some money on equipment upgrades that they're reluctant to make. Do you have a Genie DVR by chance? Seems to affect the Genie's more than other DVRs, so perhaps something due to the different Broadcomm decoder chips used in the Genie.

In the mean time, suggest you keep bugging both the local station (engineering manager) and DirecTV.

5. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    Where are you located?
    PQ on my local NBC station in DFW tonight was absolutely terrible - pixelation, breakups and macroblocking in any area of dark color. Looked like it was only on network programming, local commercials and news inserts looked fine. HR34.

6. tonypitt

tonypitt Legend

Jul 19, 2007
    My problem is with NBC, so it seems I'm having the same issue that others have reported. Yes, this is occurring with Genie.