1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Weather Observation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BarkingGhost, Jun 16, 2011.

1. BarkingGhost

BarkingGhost Legend

Dec 29, 2007
    NE Atlanta...
    No, not talking about rain fade!

Yesterday evening was a particular stormy event with a lot of cloud-cloud lightning (more than cloud-ground) and at one point I had none of the TVs or DirecTV equipment on.

No signs of a brown/black out, but at one point all of the DirecTV equipment came on by themselves. And this isn't the first time I've observed this happening.

I have to an H23 and two HR21's and they all do this for some odd reason. Ideas?

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You had some sort of a power surge. The DirecTV equipment can be very sensitive to power fluctuations. So even if the power flickered for a brief second, that could be enough to affect your receviers.

- Merg

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Your best option when something like that happens is to unplug everything. Each one of those hits takes a portion of blue smoke out of the bottle.

4. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    Wouldn't a UPS take care of this problem? It has worked out well for my 2 units.

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I have UPSs on both of my units.

6. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008

UPS-Tales care of OVER VOLATGE and under VOLATGE-When the first power goes out turn the system off till the storm passes.

No Surge protector will take that into factor

7. BarkingGhost

BarkingGhost Legend

Dec 29, 2007
    NE Atlanta...
    I guess the sub-brownout was enough to reboot the receivers, but then why didn't they go back into standby mode? Next time it happens I'll pop the TV on and see if it indeed lose power.

BTW, I had this happen in the past with a pair of identically built computers, and both sporting Logitech MX Revolution mice. All but one computer in my home has motherboards from the same manufacturer, and configured for power-on via CTRL+1 (wake on mouse is disabled). Yet, these two computers (and not the other four) came on.

Ghosts in the lightning?

8. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Turning a DIRECTV receiver "off" offers no protection at all. You need to unplug it.

9. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Minor voltage fluctuations, yes. Nearby ground strikes, no.

10. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    That's the reason it's on a UPS-

un-needed action(when connected to the ups) the ups shuts down when the battery runs out.

Waiting for a correction :nono:

11. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Might be an electric charge in the air triggering the "on" circuitry.

There can be a high electrical potential around thunderstorms. If the lightning were going to ground, the voltage would not have as much of a chance to build up.

12. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    All of my AV equipment is powered through a Monster HT Power Center. Here in North Texas we experience every type of storm be it rain, hail, tornado, high winds, snow, sky to sky and sky to ground lighting. The Monster HT Power Center (and other reputable brands) will power down your hardware fast but in a manner that prevents them fom being damaged. These units are designed to absorb the hit yet shield the connected gear including coax, phoe and cat 5. Another great attribute is if the center detects a power fault and turns off all hardware safely. Once the event is over it safely restores power in appropriate sequence. If a direct hit occurs an alarm sounds. That indicates the unit has protected the hardware but now itself must be replaced. Most high end units such as my Monster HT has a free replacement policy.

The Monster HT Power Center is not a UPS.

13. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    A UPS will not protect you from a ground strike. It cannot shut off fast enough and lightning voltages will arc across any kind of mechanical switch (and most electronic switches). They offer more protection than a surge suppressor, but they can't stop a train.

14. tnflyboy

tnflyboy Mentor

Dec 9, 2007
    The only way to really protect the Directv receiver would be to unlug them from the wall, remove the phone and coax cables and move it away from any windows..... So I ask, is anyone really going to do all this? That is why we have home insurance and the DirecTv protection plan.
    I have all of mine on UPS' (as well as my network equipment and main PC) and they do just fine. We had a storm two nights ago and lightning was striking all over the place here in Northern Georgia. Cool thing was the power went out for a few minutes but we were able to keep watching the weather.

15. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    If you think about it, under what scenario does it make sense that if a STB reboots, that it would then go into standby? If a reboot is initiated by a customer or by a customer with help from a CSR/tech, it would be counter-intuitive for it to go into standby once it was booted up, as it would appear to still not be working. Since any reboot, even those unattended and due to a power surge typically clears problems by setting the STB to an initialized state where the past is deleted and all it knows about its state is that it came up happy, it has no earthly idea whether the intent was for it to be in standby or not, so since in the majority of cases it would be desired to have it up and out of standby, that is how it comes up, by design.

16. admdata

admdata Legend

Apr 22, 2011
    That isn't 100% true, example I have 2 d11 recivers (yes I know it isn't a dvr), if I unplug it in the standby mode, leave it off for say 30 secs and plug it back in the reciver will boot up and go into the standby mode after it runs though all of the booting screens and downloads it tiny 3 day program guide from the sat.

Just something that I have notice from a-typical use.