1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Zinwell ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by HiDefGator, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiDefGator

HiDefGator Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    I upgraded to a 5 lnb and a zinwell wb616 yesterday to get ready for my eventual move to hr20's.

After installing it all I'm getting signals in the 90's on 101, 110, and 119. Except for the odd transponders on the 101. On them I get nothing. Same symptoms on all 3 receivers.

I tried by-passing the Zinwell with two barrel connectors ( I used the runs from the 101 connections on the Zinwell) and it works perfectly with the Zinwell by passed. 101 Odd Signals in the 90's also.

Has anyone ever seen a bad multiswitch straight out of the box?

Can anyone think of anything I might be missing?

thanks,

Mike

2. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    What receivers are you using to get the sat signals?

Have you bypassed the multiswitch with a coupler and tested it that way?

3. HiDefGator

HiDefGator Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    2 HR10's and a SD DirecTivo.

Yes, I tried bypassing the multiswitch and it seems to work fine while bypassed. Signals in the low 90's on odd 101 transponders. I guess at this point I'm convinced the zinwell is bad unless someone has another idea to try.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Symptoms suggest either a bad cable between the dish and the multiswitch, or a bad multiswitch. I would double check all connectors on the lines between the dish and multiswitch as the first step.

Carl

5. HiDefGator

HiDefGator Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    That's what I thought too. With the multiswitch bypassed I'm using all the same cables and everything works fine. So I'm back to it has to be the MS killing the signal on just the odd transponders for 1 satellite.

6. HoosierBoy

HoosierBoy Legend

May 25, 2007
    When D* installed my Slimline and HR-20's in January, I also had them install a Zinwell WB616. That multiswitch did the exact same thing. Only one set of transponders showed up and I had terrible macrolocking on MPEG4 locals.

I returned the switch and received a new one. Installed it and had no problem. It is very possible the switch is bad. I would return it for a new one.

7. ohio69

ohio69 Mentor

Nov 3, 2006
    My install also had a bad switch out of the box. Had exact same symptoms as your. Replaced switch and all is well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.