1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baksetball

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by jodyguercio, Dec 11, 2007.

1. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Looking for opinions here so dont flame me right off the bat....

Is it just me or is the NBA getting painful to watch? I seriously havent watched a game in two years at least because it all looks like playground ball to me. Please correct me if Im wrong. And I know I cant spell either I missed it before I posted sorry....

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I haven’t watch NBA seriously in about 5 years. The players don’t even try until the playoffs.

So I stick with college which I have always like better anyway.

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    What is this new thing called "Baksetball"? :scratch:

:D

4. jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    College isnt bad but I dont follow much college except baseball and Texas A&M football.

5. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I can't get into basketball. I've tried, but I can't stick with a whole game, football and hockey I'm glued to it, baseball, I can watch maybe 7 innings, but basketball just doesn't do it for me. Maybe if we had a team here again I could get into it, but since the NBA and NHL seasons are so closely aligned, hockey gets priority. Having no home team to root for takes a lot of fun out of it, and being about 500 miles away, I don't consider the Knicks or Nets to be my home teams like the NBA does and the Clippers hold no real meaning to me as they left 7 years before I was born.

6. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Pro basketball is devolved into probably the worst sport. If you like basketball, you'd be a lot better off watching a good college game. Better yet, get out and watch one a collegiate game in person. Lot more fun and arguably even better ball.

John

7. jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    I really just cant watch either one....they're both just to run and gun for me there doesnt seem to be much ballwaork anymore. I know Im not that old school but when I played in hs we passed A LOT more than they do now in both leagues....

8. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Pro basketball & hockey go hand in hand with me...both are boring until the playoffs, then I watch every game. I'll follow scores, teams, highlights, but rarely sit & watch a full game. I'm the same with baseball, except when the Yankees are on.

As far as college, I loooove college football and basketball. I'll sit & watch college football all day, and then sit & watch the NFL all Sunday. I also get so excited to see big college hoops games, especially watching UNC vs Duke...GO HEELS.

9. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    That's because sadly, athleticism has taken over fundamentals, and athleticism is marketable and popular. The best NBA team the last few years has been San Antonio. They're a small market and unpopular outside of SA. Why are they successful? Fundamentals. They outpass, outwork, outhustle all their opponents. What they lack is a high flying "marketable" athletic player. They don't need one, but those type of players are popular, thus having youth trying to emulate them in high school. So, a coach is given kids to coach that are athletic with standard fundamentals, and to use that they'll run an uptempo offense with a pressing defense if your bench is deep...run & gun like you said. I see your in Texas, if you ever get a chance go & watch Duncanville High School play & you'll see how high school bball is different. They're #1 in TX & top 5 on most national polls. They combined fundamentals with athleticism.

Oops, your in CA, your avi threw me off.

10. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Speaking of San Antonio, as a very casual basketball observer, I’ve noticed San Antonio has an especially strong following as do other NBA teams where they are the only pro sports team in that market. San Antonio, Memphis, Orlando, Salt Lake City, Portland, Sacramento. Just from the SportsCenter highlights and a few minutes of watching an actual game has led me to that conclusion. And I like that. Small market sports rock, seeing the fans at the AT&T Center remind me a lot of the fans here at HSBC Arena. The loyalty is second to none and the energy is incredible. I would imagine people in San Antonio live and die by the shot of the ball, just like here in Buffalo we live and die by the drop of a puck.

The more I think about it, the NBA is getting more regionalized. Trying to sell someone on basketball here in Upstate NY is like trying to sell someone in Alabama on hockey. One thing I’d be interested in, is in markets where all four major sports leagues are present, which one is more dominate and which one is least.