1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Band Stop Filter before every Legacy?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Satellite Samurai, May 18, 2010.

1. Satellite Samurai

Satellite Samurai Cool Member

Oct 10, 2008
    Looking to install a DECA system, and I was wondering if it is necessary to install a Band Stop Filter before every receiver that is not DECA Compatible.

Any help is appreciated. :grin:

2. CuriousG

CuriousG Mentor

Nov 23, 2006
    By "not DECA compatible", I'm assuming you mean does not have DECA built in, as with the HR24. If that is what you mean, ASAIK, only the HR20-100 needs the BSF installed. All other compatible receivers only use one satellite input port for a SWM/DECA install.

3. Satellite Samurai

Oct 10, 2008
    I actually mean not DECA compatible as in, does not work with the DECA System, or a legacy receiver. Let's Say a D12, would that need a band stop filter?

4. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    I'm assuming here you might be doing some kind of hybrid system (like I have)... some Ethernet-connected and some DECA-connected HD receivers... all pre-Hx24 tuners need to be isolated from the 500-600 MHz DECA frequencies. This is done by either a Band Stop Filter (i.e., if the HD receiver is Ethernet connected or for SD receivers) or a DECA adapter (which functions as a Band Stop Filter, limiting DECA frequencies at its output).

Now, there will be some who say they don't use BSFs and it works (including not using one with a non-green label SWM) and that may well be true. But it may not work, and who knows what the long term effect of high level DECA frequencies will be on a tuner not designed for them?

Also, the next time the system resets (like, after a power failure), different SWM channels could be assigned, and different results seen. I suspect HR20s are especially sensitive.

If you're going to install DECA adapters on all HD receivers (except Hx24s), have no SD receivers, and have a green-label SWM, you need no BS filters (but in that case, why not let D* do it and be done with it?).

5. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
  6. Satellite Samurai

Oct 10, 2008
    Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking to find out.