1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Band Stop Filter Mania

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Hdhead, May 19, 2010.

1. Hdhead

Hdhead Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    Why are so many installers obsessed with installing band stop filters where they are not needed? It is almost like, if it doesn't work install a filter. Happened with my installation and many others I am reading about.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Why do you think it is not needed?
    What did your installer do, that poses the question?

And are those other you are reading about, posted here? Or some other forum system

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm fairly sure your "install" could go down in history as the......

All receivers on a SWiM/DECA setup need to have either a DECA [internal on H/HR24] or a bandstop. Older SWiMs need one also.

This is the first filter they've ever seen/had to use, so not all have figured out the hows/whys other than "they need to use them".

4. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    VOS filled me in on some of the issues you had.

If you could, could you PM your account details (account number, name, phone number)
    I would like to forward it on to the proper people, so they can make sure the root-issue is resolved.

5. Hdhead

Hdhead Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    Earl, sorry I didn't explain, this all went down yesterday and you could read my trials and tribulations if look back to yesterday in the "MRV/DECA going National Thread". Basically the installer and supervisor installed and insisted (even after I told them no and they called someone at D* to verify) that I needed band stops on all 4 coax from slim 5 dish to SWM16.

6. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Yah... not good.

If you can PM your details, I would like to forward it onto the right people... to get the root-issue resolved.

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The level of the "tech/supervisor" was so poor that it took all day for them to change the bad connectors on the SWiM-16 to "resolve" the lack of even TPs after the SWiM-16 was in place.