1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Banished words

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Jan 1, 2011 #1 of 17
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Lake Superior State University's 36th annual List of Words Banished from the Queen's English for Mis-use, Over-use and General Uselessness has been released on their web site, as a number of news stories have noted. They receive nominations on line, then somehow select. While I might have added a few and ignored a couple hoping they'd go away without comment, it's pretty good:

2. Jan 1, 2011 #2 of 17
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I'd like to see the term "equals" confined to mathematics. When I was first involved in interscholastic and intercollegiate policy debate, we used the " = " sign on our notepads to abbreviate more complex relationships between evidence and conclusion that we would then recognize and expand upon when delivering our speeches, but by 1973, the debaters were reading their flowsheet notations, rather than expanding upon them. Money doesn't "equal" speech, free or otherwise, because if it did, then instead of paying my bills with money, I'd pay the with speech.

It may be possible that the expenditure of money to exercise one's free speech rights may be a right protected by the first amendment, but until someone articulates the relationship between money and speech more clearly, I have no idea what the term, "money equals speech" actually means.

3. Jan 1, 2011 #3 of 17
    QuickDrop

QuickDrop Hall Of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    Thank goodness Lake Superior State University has saved our language from the barbarians. Everyone knows that changes in language never occur unless approved by some upper authority.

4. Jan 1, 2011 #4 of 17
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    The preferred expression is "Cowboy up."

5. Jan 1, 2011 #5 of 17
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    They an add "HD Lite", "Good NFL Officiating", "Politically Correct", and "Red/Blue States" to this list of useless and should-be-canned terms.

6. Jan 1, 2011 #6 of 17
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I would like to see the word "times" removed from mathematics. "Then we times it by 4 and that is our answer". :nono2:

7. Jan 1, 2011 #7 of 17
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm going to be a buzzkill here...

These "words to ban" lists never actually included misspelled words or words used horribly incorrectly.

While I hate buzz-words and catch-phrases as much as anyone... at least they are part of the language and while over-used, at least are usually used correctly.

I would much rather see words banned that deserve it by being used incorrectly or just being made up.

Like when people say "loose" when they mean "lose" or all the times I hear people say "i could care less" when they clearly mean "i could not care less"... those would be more meaningful bans.

8. Jan 1, 2011 #8 of 17
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You are prolly right.

9. Jan 1, 2011 #9 of 17
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I can't stand watching any pro sport drafts due to the excessive use of the words, "huge potential upside."

10. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I'm guilty of using google as a verb.

11. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    I also use google as a verb but then I go to Yahoo to do the search :)

12. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I couldn't care less about meaningful and meaningless.

13. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    The inverse relationship being, "gozinta".

- Jethro Bodine

Another valid use for Gozinta being:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSmE6fVTf5g

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Sometimes pointing out the absurdity helps ... but sometimes it just introduces the word/phrase to more people.

My thoughts:

VIRAL
    I thought this meant "spreading like a virus" and is an apt description of many things that have gone viral. I hadn't considered this definition:
    "I didn't mind much when 'viral' came to mean an under-handed tactic by advertising companies to make their ads look like pop culture. However, now anything that becomes popular on YouTube is suddenly 'viral.' I just don't get it." Kevin Wood, Wallacetown, Ont.
    Marketing being the virus infecting normal information sharing on the internet? Not what I think of seeing viral.

EPIC
    Totally lame, unless you're a surfer (waves, not web).

FAIL
    Another one I like ... and historically accurate. It follows the line of putting an F on a paper. Short, simple and usually an accurate description of some action that was not node right.

WOW FACTOR
    I suppose if it has pizzazz ...

A-HA MOMENT
    What else do you call a moment when someone finally gets it without using a lot more words? They say "a-ha" ... it is an "a-ha moment".

BACK STORY
    Another one that has pizzazz.

BFF
    Another one that is for teens to be embarrassed about ever using in about 20 years ... totally.

.... political ones skipped ...

THE AMERICAN PEOPLE
    I disagree with this one being on the list ... perhaps overused but very descriptive. "Americans" would be simpler.

I'M JUST SAYIN'
    Kill it. Along with "Not to be rude" or any other way of being saying something rude and pretending that you didn't mean it as rude.

FACEBOOK / GOOGLE as verbs
    Not completely bad ... perhaps for the English teachers (those who care what a verb is).

LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST
    Don't they have better words/phrases to banish? I suppose they needed to go for the brass ring and ban this one.

The English language (even the American language, for those English people who don't want responsibility for what Americans have done) is constantly undergoing change. Sometimes for the better, sometimes not. The more acceptable changes are happily added to the vocabulary of those who complained about these words/phrases.

But it is fun to see what people will complain about.

15. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    I have looked at this report from this small college every year and its usually funny.

This year's list seems to be just a random list of anti-computer crudgmugeonism and anti-SP political rants. Epic fail.

16. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    !rolling

Post of the week. I'm just sayin' :lol:

17. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    My banned word - SPACE

As in "Oracle is the leader in the database SPACE".

2nd place - "SOCIALIZE" (synonym for "to tell")
    3rd place - "INCENT" (verb). Of course, this consultant-speak word isn't found in any dictionary.