1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Barebones HTPC For DISH Remote Access

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Jim148, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Jim148

Jim148 Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    I am just wondering if anybody here is using a barebones HTPC for DISH Remote Access?

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    For what purpose?

I'm using my regular iMac...

But, do you mean just to access and set timers?

Or are you talking about for Sling?

3. electro22

electro22 Cool Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I'm using an Acer Aspire Revo R3610. Specs are here.
    This box also runs Boxee software. Great little box, quiet, small, and has HDMI out. Perfect HTPC. It came with Win7 64bit and I'm still running that. You can sometimes find these used for a good price (never-mind eBay as they always sell for too much IMHO). The new version, R3700, is similar. You can find the R3700 refurb'd for $269.

Now, if only Sling had a plugin for boxee!!! :)

4. BodyshotsByDan

BodyshotsByDan Cool Member

May 28, 2011
    Just don't make the HTPC a linux box or you won't be able to sling to it.

Dang them. My laptop and HTPCs are all linux based, as are two of my desktops and all my servers. All slingboxes use imbedded linux, why can't they support linux on the front end?

/end rant :)

5. Jim148

Jim148 Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    Thanks for the tip. I hadn't really thought about Linux, but now I know for sure.

6. BodyshotsByDan

BodyshotsByDan Cool Member

May 28, 2011
    Anytime :)

A linux box works Wonderfully for an HTPC setup. usually requires less horsepower to run full 1080p bluray movies, mkv's, etc, and you don't have to buy another M$ license :) (I also have a TechNet account so I get free windows lic's so that isn't a deciding factor for me, but reliability/power consumption/useability is). Works wonderfully as a DVR as well if you want to go that route (considering our dish tuners (and most 3rd party DVRs (TiVo's, cable co. boxes, etc) all run linux that says something).