1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic question regarding purchasing DTV.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bleem22, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bleem22

bleem22 New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    I have been thinking about getting rid of my cable service for a long time now. The offer crappy packages for too much money. I had a few questions before I went ahead and got the service with direct tv. Ok here it goes.

Direct TV charges a additional $4.99 for every second, third, fourth...etc receiver that you have correct? Can this be avoided by buying your own receivers and just swapping the programed card? or would you need a new card? I spoke with some installers and they say you still have to pay the $4.99 lease even if you bought the receivers which kind of smells fishy to me but what do I know. I would like to avoid the $120 yearly lease charge for 2 boxes if I can. Can this be done?

Do people who work for DirectTV get family discounts? My Cousin works for DirectTV as a Supervising Customer Service rep but I havent spoken with him in years so if I could get a discount maybe I should call him up :)

Thanks for any help.

2. jonaswan2

jonaswan2 Icon

Oct 29, 2005
    Yes, DirecTV charges $4.99 for a lease fee. If you buy and claim you own the reciever, you'll be charged a $4.99 mirror fee (instead of). Since access cards are tied to recievers (this is so DirecTV can control what brand of reciever you have), you cannot just swap cards.

3. ADent

ADent AllStar

Jul 7, 2002
    If you only want to watch one at a time you can just install one receiver and run the out to mulitple rooms. Then you need to use one of the IR solutions (or get a UHF remote receiver) to control it.

Same can be done for two receiver at a time, etc.

4. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    If $5 per receiver is too expensive for you stay with cable, better yet see how much your cable system will charge you for a digital box seeing that is what Directv has at each tv.:)

5. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    The $4.99 a month fee beyond the first receiver is what they charge to "mirror" and provide the programming service to the additional receivers. If the receiver is a leased unit, it shows on your bill as a "lease fee". If the receiver is an owned unit, it shows on your bill as a "mirroring fee". Whichever it is and whatever it is called, it is a monthly charge to provide the programming to each additional receiver and there is no way around it for active receivers beyond the first.

It is not a payment on a lease, per se, as much as it's a programming charge.

6. DishSatUser

DishSatUser AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    When changing from cable to Satellite, the additional receiver fee's can be shocking to some. That's Basic Cable users though.

Digital Cable subscribers have a different outlook, 4.99? That's cheap.

Example, when purchasing digital cable from Cox, you pay $4.00 lease per month for your first box, then you pay additional fees for each additional "outlet" that needs it's own digital converter. You don't pay that fee for a single receiver with D.

7. Sep 1, 2006 #7 of 14
    ApK

ApK Icon

Mar 6, 2006
    I have two active recievers: an R15 and a D11 on a Tivo. Both are transmitted to several TVs by a modulator and controlled from the other rooms by IR remote extenders.

We're getting double the digital service and double the DVRs for much less than what cable was charging us.

8. Sep 1, 2006 #8 of 14
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    He probably gets a discount but I don't know if they do that for relatives. As a Hughes retiree, I get a $5/month discount. Not much, but it covers the mirroring fee for one of my receivers.

9. Sep 1, 2006 #9 of 14
    dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    757 & 718
    DishSatUser yea i agree with you with COX and there fees.

look at this chart which compares my pricing for programing and compare that to COX or you local cable company. YOU WILL GET A LOT MORE IN MORE ROOMS FOR LESS W/ D*

[​IMG]

10. mailiang

mailiang Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    Springsteen...
    Thats funny, my DVR service fee is $5.99. :confused:

Ian :D

11. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    757 & 718
    yea i made an error but fact is your still saving VS CABLE.

12. cybok0

cybok0 Godfather

Jan 5, 2006
    I think they raised the price on leased dvr fees. If you have an owned dvr and then add leased dvr(s) you stay with the owned fees.

13. johnzim63

johnzim63 AllStar

Oct 8, 2005
    How can you tell for sure if you have "owned" or "leased" equipment? My billing statement doesn't use either word anywhere.

14. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you see a monthly lease fee on your statement, they show your equipment as leased. If you see a monthly mirroring fee on your statement, they show your equipment as owned.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.