1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basketball game on a carriier flight deck - Fri 11/11

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Nick, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    On this Veterans Day and for the first time in history, the flight deck of a US aircraft carrier will host a college basketball game.

The flight deck of the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson, stationed at San Diego Bay, will be the venue for tonight's game between Michigan State and North Carolina. Complete with regulation wooden court and spectator stands for 7,000, the flight deck of the carrier takes on a new look as Michigan State takes on North Carolina.

See pictures in today's LA Times sports section here and watch panoramic Sports Center broadcasts live from the flight deck throughout today.

TV: ESPN HD - 7:00pm Eastern

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Thanks for the heads up. Just the title, "Quicken Loans Carrier Classic" ...."From San Diego." doesn't quite convey the gist of it. It might appear to be jointly sponsored by Quicken and a certain air conditioning company.

Ch. 206, 4 PM PST.

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Been looking forward to this for a long time and have 3 DVR's set to record it.

Not looking forward to the final score though, I fear.

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I don't get how Izzo can not recruit consistently. One year, MSU will be a contender and then fall off the next.

Go Tar Heels!

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Some of Izzo's teams are slow-starters... but usually he has them ready come tournament time.

As to the game... this is also a good opportunity to promote the armed services, and let people see some of the men and women currently serving. I like that aspect.

I also like something Vitale said... not only like to see a tradition come of this, but also if they could include at least a couple of the armed forces... How about an Army/Navy game aboard the carrier next year too?

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Well, it doesn't help that he kicked two guys off the team last year (conduct detrimental to the team) and this year one of the seniors (Delvon Rowe) had to quit due to continuous knee problems.

They would have been much better last year (and this year) with those members.

7. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    On my news report it was mention this is the ship from which they put Osama bin Laden into the deep.

8. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Sponsored by Quicken and Newport News Shipbuilding,the guys that built Carl Vinson, IIRC.

9. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    More striking pictures: gametime; president; at dusk

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Michigan State has a history of holding their sporting events in non-traditional places. I believe they were the first college in the modern era to hold an outdoor hockey game (MSU vs Michigan in 2001). They held the attendance record for a hockey game until 2010.

I liked the camo uniforms and the "USA" on their backs instead of their names. Nice touch. But I was upset with the bunting. Blue goes on top.