1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by onan38, Jan 27, 2013.

1. onan38

onan38 Legend

Jul 17, 2008
  2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    February 10 from 9-11 PM. I have missed all the promotions and publicity? Oh, that's right, this is Syfy and it isn't even on the front of their web site.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Already aired on YouTube in 2012. Not bad but I still haven't forgiven BSG for how it ended.

4. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Neither have I. I boycott Ronald D. Moore stuff now.

5. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    Finally watched it a few weeks back, wasn't bad. Got me to start watching BSG again on netflix. Kind of fun now after watching all the prequels.

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I knew it aired on YouTube but I wanted to wait for the Syfy expanded version on my big screen with surround sound in my "home theater." I suppose, though, much of the target audience watched it on YouTube.

Let me take another try at convincing you the ending was not as bad as it seemed.

To me the last season was an attempt to interpret and reconcile to the "Cycle of Time" which is hardly an original philosophical or metaphysical construct and has been much debated. From Wikipedia:
    Also, in my view an underlying theme was the fundamental difference between other traditions and the Judeo-Christian tradition with regard to time. Again from Wikipedia:
    In a very real sense linear time is built into "machines" which the Western World embraces as a belief about life - linear time is "built into" all living things, except perhaps for the soul of the chosen ones, human beings, all or a few - while other philosophical constructs passed from generation-to-generation, including the Sacred Scrolls of the Colonial religion, assert that time for creations not built by man is not linear and there is even room for that built by man in the eternal return.

That is why I'm not displeased with the ending described at Battlestar Wiki as follows:
    Keep in mind that in the Season 1 we saw the following:
    And so the ending leaves us continuing to ponder whether "as it was, so will it be" is about time (the Universe?) starting over again following the same broad patterns of destiny (maybe until we get it right) or is about humans just being stupid over and over again in a linear time frame.

No perfect ending existed for "Battlestar Galactica" because in Season 1 we were confronted with a statement of fact: "All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again." That is a very significant challenge to the generally accepted construct of time in the Western World - simply there is no ending, much less a satisfying one.

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    That's not possible. I think the way BSG ended is the absolute worst ending to a series that I've ever seen. Someone said Last Resort's ending was a cop out. They clearly didn't watch BSG or they'd know what a cop out ending really is.

8. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Yeah, well, it sucked anyways. Baltar and #6 smirking around NYC looking like silly idiot ghosts right out of "Topper" and spewing incomprehensible pretentious nonsense was an insult to the loyal audience. There's good writing, and bad. This was THE WORST of the WORST!

Fact is, the whole cyclical reality concept was never set up well, and never got paid off. It was a half-baked mess--just like the Hendrix music--tacked onto the plot and did nothing but confuse everyone, including the actors themselves. Yes, Virginia, writers mess up. All the time.

9. litex2x

litex2x Legend

Sep 8, 2012
    I guess I'm in the minority. I thought the ending to BSG was great.

I liked the idea of them restarting their life on our Earth 150,000 years in our past to begin a the new cycle that may or may not repeat itself with us. It really tied the story up nicely.

Blood and Chrome felt much like BSG. The storytelling and intrigue was there. The emotion was there. It's going to be awesome.

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    litex2x:

To do a spoiler correctly, you need to use the spoiler tags...

[spoiler ] and [/spoiler]

Remove the space after the "r" in the first tag.

- Merg

11. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I would have been content with the midseason, pre-strike ending. The second half of that season went off the crazy deep end.

12. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    +1. Looking forward to Blood and Chrome and hoping it doesn't lapse into incomprehensible babble about "it's all happened before" or anything about Hera. BTW, did they EVER explain what invisible #6 was doing hovering around Gaius all the time? Was he a Cylon too and she was just an implant in his head or something?? I saw the whole show but don't remember them ever really explaining that gag, though they milked it in every episode. We know she wasn't an imbedded chip since they scanned him and found nothing. I guess he wasn't a Cylon, but later there was a Baltar "Messenger" or something. Huh?

13. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I am in the same boat. I want to watch tv on a screen that I do not have to lean forward to see.

14. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    +1. One of the great pleasures during the series was to lay back in bed and let all that yummy monstrous 5.1 audio and HD big screen space ships at war goodness wash over me. Sweet!

15. litex2x

litex2x Legend

Sep 8, 2012
    They were angels of god.

16. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Ah, thus the appalled response of most viewers. I saw it but that plot point was so preposterous and plainly silly that it just went right past me. Thanks for reminding me the writers were suffering from major burnout by the end!

17. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    +1

18. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    I have to wonder how the show avoided major protests by religious groups! Robots with souls? Where was all the marching and hate group threats we saw with The Passion of the Christ? This was far worse in their eyes! They even took Jesus right out of the picture.:lol:

19. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    I watched Blood and Chrome last night. I thought it was okay. The story was solid, and there was good action. But I found the audio to be somewhat muddy and the PQ just sucked. The lens flares were distracting.

20. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    "Let me take another try at convincing you the ending was not as bad as it seemed."

The stuff you've tried to justify was pretty bad, but may have been an okay ending - if only it weren't for the joke played on the fans of the show by Moore and the other writers:

The explanation for all that strange stuff, the dreams and "Along the Watchtower," for example, is ....

"that's the way he [i.e god, i.e. god in the machine, i.e. the writers] wanted it."

Hee hee. I'm sure Moore and his gang thought that was really funny. Just hand wave away all the stuff they apparently had no intention of ever explaining by saying "god did it."

-- Roger