1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battlestar Galactica: Razor... check your series links

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Stuart Sweet, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    DIRECTV DVR users should be able to record "Razor" as part of a regular series link for BSG, but here's a warning: Since this is the first episode since the HDs went live, those with HD DVRs might want to redo that series link for SCIFIHD.

Talk it up some more at: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=108480

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Is BSG: Razor considered part of the Series?

For that to work, the special event/movie would have to be coded with the same Series ID as BSG....

Either way... I would just set a single record for the special event

3. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    On my system (HR20-700), it shows Razor as an episode of the series, but I haven't reset my series links yet, and won't until the new season starts in earnest. I just set Razor to record as a single event program.

4. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes it shows up an an episode of BSG not a separate TV movie event.

5. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Cool then... but back to your OP

Since our Series LInks are probably tied to the SD channel, if you want the HD version.... you are going to need to update the link

6. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    It shows up as a regular episode in a search in the Guide for "Battlestar Galactica", on both SciFi and SciFi HD.

But thanks for the heads-up guys! :up:

FWIW, the Guide does NOT show it as HD on SciFi HD. It only says letterboxed. I hope this is an error in the Guide data.

7. jwebb1970

jwebb1970 Legend

Oct 3, 2007
    Since I'm still a bit new to D*, I had yet to set up BSG as a series recording on my HR20-700.

And since I got into BSG late (started watching on DVD this last summer), I've been waiting for SciFi to resume the season 3 repeats.

Now that they & RAZOR are listed, I went to do a series recording. However, only the 1st aired ep (Exodus Pt I) shows as a series recording. No other eps show as due to record (although the series recording info states that ALL eps will be recorded). Due to the time they are being broadcast, I am taking NO chances and set up single recordings of every S3 ep and the 1st airing of RAZOR.

Any reason why the other eps don't show up in my To Do list in Scheduler? Set up BSG series record for "Both" 1st run/repeats.

8. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I looked through all the guide data for SCIFIHD last night and not one program was listed as HD. It's probably a guide error.

9. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    It can take a day or so for everything to fully populate. That's normal. It should do it fast enough that you don't miss anything.

10. HouseBowlrz

HouseBowlrz Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    Centreville, VA
    I, too, was surprised to see BG Razor show up as part of the series. It appears that they've simply called the episode Razor ...

And, yes, I also had to re-establish the series link on the HD channel and remove the link for the SD channel that was used last season.

cheers

11. phox_mulder

phox_mulder Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    BSG was one tipping point that moved me to get the HR21.

If SCI-HD launched in time for Razor, then I was going to jump on board.

I really hope it is bad guide data.

phox

12. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Well, me too. But there are so many other great, great shows in HD that even if NBC/Universal have dropped the ball on this (it wouldn't be the first mis-step they've made lately :rolleyes: ), your drive will be filling up pretty fast anyway.

On the other hand, Universal HD has shown episodes in HD sporadically before, albeit in MPEG2 and not the highest quality. The new MPEG4 channels are pretty darned good when showing HD material.

13. captdusty

captdusty Mentor

Jul 13, 2006
    Maryland
    On a related note:

1. Any known spoilers in Razor for those of us who have yet to see Season 3? (Where in tarnation are those DVDs??!!)

2. I wonder if the writers strike might create an opportunity for a re-airing of Season 3, in HD no less.

14. phox_mulder

phox_mulder Legend

Nov 1, 2007
    SciFi is doing a marathon of Season 3 prior to the first Razor airing.

Not sure how many episodes though.

phox

15. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    How are they displaying BSG on scifi? Is it that pillar with black bars above and below like with the Stargate?

16. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I sure wish someone at D* would remind their providers that the "HD" flag needs to be valid. People with HD sets use that to choose programs, and not having it is to their disadvantage.

And folks like Turner that use it for everything, and present nothing in HD, gain the rep of frauds, to put it nicely.

17. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    They letterbox it on SCIFI SD. Your set may add pillars to that, or stretch it. If the program is in SD letterbox, then yes, it is windowboxed on SCIFI HD to convert the 4:3 to 16:9. SCI FI never stretches,

If it is in real HD, then it would be full 16x9 on SCIFI HD. Since BSG has been filmed since day one in HD, I'm pretty sure that this will not be windowboxed. Then again, their guide data seems all screwed up, maybe the rest of their system is, too. FX HD windowboxed "Damages" even though it was shot in HD and is coming out next year on blu-ray.

18. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    That is what I was afraid of. I will stay a season behind on Universal.

19. generalpatton78

generalpatton78 Godfather

Dec 17, 2003
    I'm sure it will be HD. Scifi just never uses the HD tag. So far SGA, Flash Gordon, and some movies have been in HD this year however they never use the [HD] tag. That said I wouldn't be surprised to see the marathon of last years season to be in SD. It seems everything they aired prior to going HD is aired in SD even if it was filmed or shot for HD (examples are Eureka, and Stargate SG1). My hope is that since they showed BSG on Universal HD that they make the tiny bit of effort to get us the HD version up. That said SCIFI HD has been very lazy with HD and re-runs.

20. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    Same here... as a newbie to the Directv mpeg4 receivers I wondered... all other HD events are marked... I watched SGA and Dresden on ScifiHD last night... Razor is one of the reasons I got the HR20-700 ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.