1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bay Area Fox KTVU 2 Audio-Video Problems

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by phrelin, Nov 24, 2009.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Anyone else seeing this. While watching from recordings of satellite feed we have significant audio problems with video problems. Tonight on "House" and "lie to Me" they seemed to be struggling with it - shifted to SD then came back with HD, but audio continued to glitch. "This has been ahhpening for several weeks.

2. RTCDude

RTCDude AllStar

Feb 3, 2005
    Yep, we get lots of problems with the 10:00 news. There is the machine gun stutter syllable effect ("and now the,e,e,e,e,e,e,e new,w,w,ws"), and the hollow echo chamber million miles away effect. Sometimes it get so bad you can't understand the dialog. I just turn off the sound and lip read. Complaining to Dish is like talking to my TV (no response). And complaining to KTVU is like talking to my TV's image in a mirror (refer back to Dish).

3. Everlast

Everlast Cool Member

Apr 14, 2008
    I've been noticing the "audio stutter" (well described above) for a couple of weeks now. Happens both for live and recorded (VIP 722) shows. Only happens on KTVU/FOX and none of the other locals exhibit this problem.

I'm going to guess it's a problem with KTVU's feed to Dish (either on the sending or receiving end.) The stutter happens on both national FOX programs as well as local (like the 10:00 news.)

Awfully annoying.

4. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    I've noticed the problem on KTVU (2) and KPIX (5) both San Francisco locals, not sure about the others.......
    356B
    vip622

5. plasmacat

plasmacat Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    I posted on the general Dish discussion - same audio problems - been happening for weeks on all local channels but Fox is the worst. This is a Dish sat problem because OTA is fine. I am talking about the grinding noises every few minutes followed by loss of dialogue. I am not talking about the video problems at the beginning of House last night - I think that was a local station issue.

6. hylander3366

hylander3366 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    :rolleyes:I am experiencing the same problem. I have experienced audio glitch on all of the local channels (San Francisco/Bay Area). I just recently switched from SD to HD. the problem did not arise until I switched and the glitch was immediate upon the switch.

I contacted the tech support and they sent a home tech out. after replacing all of the cables and lnb switches I am having the same problem on both recievers. the glitch appears on both recievers at the same time. this makes me thing it is broacasting problem specifically with audio compression.

My question to the other posters is how long have you had the HD without the problem and has anyone been able to shed light onto what the problem exactly is?

Any information on what the cause is or the solution if any would be appriciated.

just for info tech says signal is good (between 50 and 65 depending). I am using HMDI cables and have swapped them and the problem continues. The tech installed component cables thinking it was a HDMI problem and interestingly enough the problem got worse and new ones arrived so we are back to HDMI. LNB have been swapped and so have the cables. And finally the problem arrived after switching from SD that had no problems.

Is anyone in other areas outside of SF/Bay area experiencing this problem. I need infor to tell Dish because apparently they are stumped.

Any input greatly appricated! Very frustrating.

7. RTCDude

RTCDude AllStar

Feb 3, 2005
    KTVU has frequently been a mixed bag. A month or so ago, there were a couple of weeks where the 10:00 news had a extreme lip sync problem (sound leading by more than a second). Several months ago there was a couple of week spat of constant macro-blocking. I expect this current issue go away in a few weeks like the others. Complaining to Dish/KTVU never seems to make a problem go away any faster. You just have to wait it out.

By the way, it always makes me cringe when Dish wants to start swapping/replacing HW to solve these kinds of issues. Anyone that has worked with MPEG audio would immediately recognize the "machine gun stutter syllable effect" I descibed as a common effect when the MPEG audio stream is corrupted or there is a decoding error. Trying to swap out HW is laughable. Dish tech support should know better.

8. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    KTVU has lost audio totally in the recent past on the HD side, SD deal was nominal. I believe the problems originate from KTVU and or all the locals. The locals routinely run a crawl during the day time about maintenance, upgrades and so on which may effect your viewing, could be connected.......KTVU does seem to be the most often affected though.
    Audio has been a persistent problem in one form or another for a year or more on (2).
    356B

9. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    For the record, after some frustration with audio last night, I sent the following email to Dish Quality and Dish Technical Support, with cc's to Echostar Engineering and the folks at the Administrative Office:
    I'm sure they'll jump right on the problem.:sure:

10. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Actually they did jump on the problem. Though I can't deal with it as I'm leaving for Thanksgiving, I received the following email:
    I don't watch any daytime TV. So all I can respond is in terms of primetime, recorded programs.

If anyone has something to pass on that might help them, post it here.

11. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    I'm watching the Green Bay, Detroit game, as I write this I just heard the chatter or stutter audio problem. It's on Fox, KTVU SF locally.

12. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    I guess we've been lucky (I also get Bay Area stations). In the last month I've only experienced prblems with one recording of So you think you can Dance - had a lot of audio and video problems when the dancing started.... if the people stood still no problems. Otherwise, no problems.

13. PeteSJCA

PeteSJCA Cool Member

Jan 5, 2005
    created a new thread... this is what i said too..

Howdy,

I'm having daily, and numerous audio and video losses since the install of my 1000.2 dish about a year ago. Techs have come out twice in the last year, and last week E sent me a replacement 722 receiver. My local HD channels are the main problem. the 119 sat will not lock unless i change the transponder/spot beam from 7 (preset?) to something else 5, or 17 work well, when i come back it's switched back to 7. I've called E again this week and was told my local HD channels weren't on the 119, but when i check the program info, it says they are on the 119 satellite....

E wants to send out another tech, is it worth it?

Uverse just became available in my neighborhood in NE san jose, ca. Should i switch?

14. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yes, our HD locals are on 119 7. There is clearly something wrong with your equipment, and not the 722. There's another member here that has switched to Uverse twice and come back. So I'd again try letting a tech fix it.

That way you can complain about audio problems along with us.:sure:

15. grooves12

grooves12 Godfather

Oct 27, 2005
    when experiencing these problems... which seem to be broadcas related and not equipment problems... always report them to dishquality@echostar.com. They have been extremely responsive in the past and will actually work with you to figure out the problem and get it resolved if it is something on their end.

16. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Here's an update (or another response) from the Quality folks:

17. Everlast

Everlast Cool Member

Apr 14, 2008
    It was more than I could have hoped for. At least Dish and Fox are now aware of the problem. When they get around to addressing it -- remains to be seen.

18. plasmacat

plasmacat Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    I also emailed Dish and got the exact same reply email today as Phrelin got today.

19. snowman

snowman Cool Member

Nov 1, 2004
    I see the response from dish network, but it was really a fox national issue then why does it happen on KTVU news?

20. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I sent the following followup email to Dish Quality this morning: