1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

BAY AREA HD LOCALS - Feedback Request from Dish Network

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by phrelin, Jan 20, 2010.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    This afternoon I received the following email from Dish Quality:
    Since a number of the shows I regularly record are reruns this week, I'm hoping others will report their experiences here this week.

NOTE: This is a continuation of the discussions in the threads

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    This is good news! I've forwarded it to my California managers.

3. plasmacat

plasmacat Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    Human Target on Fox tonight might be a good show to try.

Since the audio issues have been happening I have been recording strictly OTA broadcasts on Fox and on the other locals as well unless there is a conflict. The other locals shows (few) I have recorded lately off the sat feed have been OK audiowise.

However on "24" I had one major audio dropout lasting maybe 10-20 seconds on each night and this was off the OTA feed. One of these was when Starbuck (er Dana) was talking to her excon boyfriend in the parking lot.

4. mgs24

mgs24 AllStar

Dec 7, 2002
    I had the exact same dropout on my OTA recordings of 24. 722k receiver w/OTA module

5. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It would be interesting to find out if anyone watched the "24" episode OTA live directly on their HD TV bypassing Dish equipment and heard the audio dropout. I have posted a similar request on the HDTV-in-SFbay Yahoo tech group.

6. Everlast

Everlast Cool Member

Apr 14, 2008
    My experience with Fox / KTVU since mid-December has been free of audio dropouts. At least I can't recall any incidents since then. Prior to the "adjustment" all you had to do was watch 10-15 minutes and you would notice the stutter.

7. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We experienced one audio/video freeze followed by about four seconds of black screen in the middle of our recording off the satellite of "Criminal Minds" tonight. ViP722 with the following possible variables: (1) we started watching the recording from the beginning when it was about 35 minutes into the broadcast; (2) we are having bad weather which doesn't usually, but can, cause rain fade, though it didn't look like rain fade. These kinds of freeze and/or black screen incidents are frequent with CBS shows on KPIX.

8. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Both this week's "Bones" and "Fringe" on KTVU (Fox) were free of any problems, the first time since this season started last fall. ViP722 - both shows were still recording when we started watching them and another HD show was recording at the same time.

9. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I've had all kinds of dropouts over the last few days. Grey's Anatomy was bad as well as Private Practice. The dropouts were both video and audio. The picture would freeze and sound would stop for 3-4 seconds. It happened a total of about 8 times between different shows. I also saw this on Last Monday's episode of House.
    I'm going to start keeping track of these.

10. plasmacat

plasmacat Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    Finally watched my recording of Human Target on Fox (sat feed, 622) and it was perfect - no audio dropouts.

11. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Is this on your 722k from the satellite? I'll watch "Grey's" and "PP" tonight.

12. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I received the following email from Dish Quality today:
    So let's keep the information flow going here.

13. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Well, this is curious. The playback of my recordings of "Grey's Anatomy" and "Private Practice" on my 722 were flawless. They were recorded last night from the satellite feed of KGO (ABC), so I wouldn't think the changes made by Dish this morning would have affected them.

On the other hand, my recording of "The Mentalist" made last night from the satellite feed of KPIX (CBS) has several audio drops and one full audio/video freeze that went to black for about 3 seconds.

In our household's normal recording schedule, tonight there was no normal programming on the broadcast networks and Sunday night are repeats. But Monday we'll have shows on Fox, ABC and NBC and Tuesday we'll get some CBS shows.

Hopefully, others will have a different recording schedule and will report in here whether from the satellite or OTA.

14. dmspen

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Yes, from recorded shows. I also had video dropouts where the picture just 'blinked' black for about 1 second.

15. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    I haven't had any problems to speak of this past week. I do lose track of when a show was aired as I constantly time shift and try to watch the older programs first.

I still do have a problem of the quality of the local satellite signal here in the SF Bay Area.
    None of the local HD channels report a signal on the point dish screen. Thus I am unable to tell if I have a dish pointing problem. The locals that are not HD work on the point dish screen.

16. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The "no lock, no signal strength number" on our spotbeam drives me nuts as I sometimes think I could have a problem with 119° where our HD signals come from. So I then I have to check other transponders and assume things are ok with my transponder 7.

Back in September 2009 I had the following email exchange with Dish Quality:
    So apparently it doesn't mean anything.

17. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Tonight is a night that I'm not recording anything from our HD locals. So if anyone out there watches live or records and watches off the satellite or off the air the NFL games or any prime time shows on HD ABC, Fox, NBC, or CBS (and KRON MyTV, I guess) be sure to report if you did or did not have any audio or video problems.

There are more new episodes of our regular shows on the local HD channels Monday and Tuesday. But the more customers reporting, the better idea we'll have about the effect of the changes. Please indicate your receiver/DVR model, whether you recorded/watched from the satellite or OTA (they want OTA reports as well as satellite) and whether you watched live or a recording.

18. Larry Kenney

Larry Kenney Legend

Aug 19, 2005
    I'm located in San Francisco using a ViP622 receiver.

I haven't noticed any audio problems on KTVU for several weeks. I've watched all of the "American Idol" shows via the KTVU satellite feed for the past two weeks and they've been fine.

Except for an occasional drop out, I haven't had any reception problems with any of the Bay Area stations. I have no complaints on the reception of any of the HD stations from Dish.

Edit: Added Comment - The reception from my OTA tuner in the 622 of all local stations is fine too.

Larry
    SF

19. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I have received reports from some of the Yahoo Group Bay Area HDTV off-the-air members who don't use cable or satellite that "24" had audio dropouts in the two premier episodes, including one member that still has them stored on his TiVo. Also members who had Comcast and DirecTV indicated they had them. So it seems that KTVU and/or Fox does indeed have a problem that has been fixed hopefully.

20. dmspen

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I had a couple of pixelations and frame blinking during the football game on Sunday.