1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC America HD Coming Soon! (According to CSR)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by WolfpupNX, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WolfpupNX

WolfpupNX Cool Member

Aug 2, 2007
    I didn't see this here so thought I'd share it (sorry if missed).

Just upgraded dishes (finally was able to with the Slimline - W00T!), and since I'm a big BBC fan, asked about BBC America in HD expecting the standard "no plans yet but maybe" response.

Instead, the CSR I talked to (who seemed quite good in other regards) said she has it listed as Coming Soon to DirecTV but with no date!

I know everything a CSR says has to be taken with a grain of salt, but I actually feel this is a pretty good indication we may be seeing it soon after D12 launches. Let's hope!

2. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    Soon to D* means "in the next six months"...

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    It's likely that we'll see BBCA-HD when D12 comes online (expected in February), along with a slew of other national HD channels. D12 will add capacity for about 70 additional HD channels, if, that is, all of its bandwidth is used for that purpose.

4. bb37

bb37 Godfather

Dec 27, 2007
    Maybe BBCAHD will take the bandwidth previously used by VsHD.

5. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
  6. Azdeadwood

Azdeadwood Legend

Aug 18, 2007
    "COMING SOON" is the biggest and most common LIE we get from Directv. I got Directv in 2006 because "over 150 HD channels - are COMING SOON". Now a full 3 years later they still haven't hit it - even if you count the part time HD channels.

And also in December 2007 Directv said that PBS HD was "coming soon" - almost 2 years later the majority of markets still don't have it.

I hope I'm wrong but when I hear "coming soon" all I see is RED because I know that once again Directv is tell us another LIE.

7. rey_1178

rey_1178 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Florida
  8. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    Every company lies, look at Dish, cable companies. I'll still stick with D* though.

9. rey_1178

rey_1178 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Florida
    agreed. besides, the word "soon" already has a patent. guess who owns that?? :D

10. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    CSR's have no more inside info than we do. They will say what they have to, just like me :)

11. Araxen

Araxen Icon

Dec 18, 2005
    1st Quarter 2010 is "soon" to a CSR.

12. ajc68

ajc68 Icon

Jan 23, 2008
    Actually I believe that is one of the handful of national HD channels that's been rumored to be coming soon (end of the year or D12-ish). You would have to search this out as it's in another thread.

13. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    HBO channels are coming soon. Travel Channel HD is coming soon. TIVO is coming soon. HDPC-20 is coming soon:

http://www.engadgethd.com/tag/HDPC-20/

After all the spoon feed bull **** Directv gives us, I have every right to be a negative nancy.

14. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    Some CSR told me "soon" months ago. They also said "soon" for Travel Channel, "soon" for MSNBC, "soon" for Outdoor Channel, "soon" for all kinds of things. I've come to the conclusion that this is "soon" in Biblical terms. After all, Methuselah lived to be nearly a thousand years old -- a couple of years is still "soon" when using that kind of scale... :raspberry

15. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    I don't think it is fully dead.

about a week ago ST guide info with direct tv numbers showed up in windows 7 for a few people who had cable cards. Likely bad data but direct tv data there may show that it is not dead.

16. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    So basically all of Directv's promises will come with the antichrist rises?

I suppose in biblical terms that would mean Charlie Ergen becomes the CEO of Directv...

17. WolfpupNX

WolfpupNX Cool Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Okay, so I guess more like a bag of salt than a grain... =oP

Sorry - I wasn't as versed in their habit of misinformation as some of you here, so I don't mean to get people's hopes up or spread false rumors - just passing on what I was told. It did seem like she was looking at *something* that indicated this from what she told me, though I don't know what.

At any rate, we can hope. Given D12 is going up soon, I think there's a good bet a lot of HD will be coming - its what that will include that is up for debate.

18. oldcrooner

oldcrooner Godfather

Feb 23, 2004
    I hope their "soon" is really "soon". I've been deferring watching a lot of BBC programming for a long time simply because I can't bear the blurry, over-compressed mess that the channel became. I keep hoping they will show up "soon" in HD so I can catch up on all that I've missed when it's in re-runs. Directv should really be ashamed of what they did to the once good quality of their SD channels.

19. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    In April a CSR told me we're getting Outdoor Channel HD "soon"...

20. Sackchamp56

Sackchamp56 Godfather

Nov 9, 2006
    I bet you didnt beleive it when they said the Lions might win a game soon either. Dreams can come true!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.