1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC World Channel Coming soon?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by UKintheUS, Dec 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 23, 2005 #1 of 137
    UKintheUS

UKintheUS Godfather

Dec 23, 2005
    Was watching BBC America today, and there was an ad saying BBC World Coming soon, contact your Cable or Satellite operator.

This is Fantastic. The US has been without a international News service since CBC Newsworld Shutdown here.

And Sky News is not coming as Fox News cried to murdoch (News Corp) saying it may take viewers from them.

All we need now is BBC Kids

2. Dec 23, 2005 #2 of 137
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    That's awesome, hopefully D* carries it.

3. Dec 23, 2005 #3 of 137
    UKintheUS

UKintheUS Godfather

Dec 23, 2005
    Well i have e:mailed DirecTV so lets see if we get it.

4. Dec 24, 2005 #4 of 137
    nmstough

nmstough Cool Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Lets hope not. BBC is nothing but anti-US anti-Bush propaganda. It has no place in the US, as I am sure News Corp. recognizes.

In Canada the regulators forced satellite and cable providers to bundle Fox News with BBC just to force all the fair and balanced viewers there to support this anti-US channel. The ultimate indignity.

5. Dec 24, 2005 #5 of 137
    DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    I agree I wouldnt want it here either for those reasons stated above. Just another channel to block IMO. There is no reason why Sky News couldnt be brought over here. News Corp owns both Sky and D*. I would much rather have Sky News.

6. Dec 24, 2005 #6 of 137
    Kheldar

Kheldar Icon

Sep 5, 2004
    So what you are saying is that any news channel that disagrees with your personal philosophy isn't welcome in the country? So much for fair and balanced, eh?
    While I personally might not watch the channel, and I might object to it's far-left attitude, I would at least give them the chance to broadcast in the country.

One sign of a weak argument is the proponent's inability to respond intelligently to someone espousing an opposite viewpoint. Being afraid to listen to your opponent's viewpoint suggests that you are afraid of being convinced that you are wrong.

7. Dec 24, 2005 #7 of 137
    Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Legend

Apr 28, 2005
    Listen: The freedom the press takes in telling us the news the way they want us to hear it, is whats got all this terrorism escalating. How much terrorism do you think would be going on if no one covered it? NONE The news channels are the biggest bunch of liers on the planet. They post everything out of text, or the way they think they will get the most viewers. I lost respect for the news back in the 80's when they seamed to have went for the allmighty dollar instead of bringing us the news. think about it:mad:

8. Dec 24, 2005 #8 of 137
    UKintheUS

UKintheUS Godfather

Dec 23, 2005
    So the fact that we value freedom of speech means nothing to you. Now on Sky Digital Satellite TV UK you have 13 News networks. So thats worldwide freedom of speech just in Britain.

BBC News 24 (British)
    ITV News Channel (British)
    Sky News (British)
    S4C2 (British/Welsh Language)
    Euro News (German)
    Bloomberg News (International)
    CNN (International)
    Fox News Channel (US Feed)
    CNBC (Europe)
    CCTV-9 (China)
    NDTV 24x7, New Delhi Television Ltd (India)
    SAW, South Asia World (India)
    Al Jazzera English Network (Arab, Coming soon)

9. Dec 24, 2005 #9 of 137
    Kheldar

Kheldar Icon

Sep 5, 2004
    Fl_Gulfer and nmstough apparently do believe in freedom of speech, but only as long as the person speaking agrees with their personal political philosophy. They are apparently afraid to see that someone else has an opposing viewpoint.

I would welcome any other news channels that D* and E* want to bring into this country (FYI: NDTV 24x7, a channel you listed, is available on D* already, on channel 2007, althought it requires the international dish.). Then I would at least have the freedom to choose whether or not to watch them, or believe them when I do.

Personally, I refer to CNN as the "Communist News Network" (partly because it is run by a cable company in direct competition with my current employer, I suppose), but that doesn't stop me from turning there occasionally to watch Larry King or Anderson Cooper, who often have a well-thought-out argument that makes me reconsider my point of view. Although they rarely change my mind, I go away from the show more convinced that I am right, because my personal viewpoint stood up against their arguments.

As I said in a previous post in this thread:
    One sign of a weak argument is the proponent's inability to respond intelligently to someone espousing an opposite viewpoint. Being afraid to listen to your opponent's viewpoint suggests that you are afraid of being convinced that you are wrong.

10. Dec 24, 2005 #10 of 137
    BexTech

BexTech New Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Maybe some people are happy not to be informed of the truth or for others to be informed of the truth, and this is why they are worried about the BBC.

Possibly they are blinkered and are not able to see views from a different angle.

The trouble with USA news channels is they often only feed viewers a biased viewpoint.

11. Dec 24, 2005 #11 of 137
    Kheldar

Kheldar Icon

Sep 5, 2004
    blinkered? WTH?

12. Dec 24, 2005 #12 of 137
    mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    I'm as conservative as the next guy (OK, more conservative than the next guy), but we don't have international news. And despite the so-called propaganda from the BBC (yes, they have their own biases, but no different than anyone else), the anti-Bush bias that some news operations have is no reason to deny access to the BBC or any other network.

As I've told others on Free Republic, you can take one of two views: "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer"; or just plain don't watch.

13. Dec 24, 2005 #13 of 137
    NVBlue

NVBlue Legend

Aug 3, 2005
    I would welcome any channel from the BBC. Their news shown on BBC America is much more informative than the 4 networks + the cable news channels in the US. I would also welcome a Canadian station and an Australian station. To me freedom equals choice and NOT the "unfair and unbalanced" of Fox news.

BTW at the Monterey Jazz Festival I asked BET Jazz about getting on Directv. They said they would be added in March 2006. Can't wait.

14. Dec 24, 2005 #14 of 137
    Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I too would welcome this channel. Sky News as well.

15. Dec 25, 2005 #15 of 137
    Jayenga

Jayenga New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    I don’t think the BBC coming to the USA is anything to fear in particular. As a Brit living in Britain I can say that I am proud of the stance that both our governments have taken in the war on terror and am certainly not anti American or bush.

Being exposed to the BBC and seeing their News programs daily has not changed my views or instilled any anti US sentiment in me. In fact I don’t think the BBC is particularly anti or pro US/Bush and are to politically correct to go making any sweeping statements as lets not forget they're publically owned and funded.

I watch in addition Fox News and Sky News which certainly are pro US/British and I think that’s the same for most.

Please don’t forget News Corp is just as big of a force in the UK as the US the vast majority of TV Networks, News papers and our only satellite network are owned by them.

I dont think the addition of the BBC will make much of a difference, things aren’t so different this side of the pond. :lol:

16. Dec 25, 2005 #16 of 137
    News Junky

News Junky Icon

Mar 16, 2005
    I don't like leftwigned propaganda either but I don't think banning it is the answer. The answer is multiple services from a wide range of sources.

I wish we had some of those Sky Digital channels here plus a good African channel maybe combining local programming from Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa putting the motha' land on the map internationally.

17. Dec 25, 2005 #17 of 137
    delphi96

delphi96 Mentor

Dec 25, 2005
    The BBC news service should be denied access because of how obviously biased and anti-American they are. Americans will quickly recognize this and ignore the channel.

Besides, no government financed news organization should ever be allowed to operate in any other country.

UK in the US you can relay this message to your friends at digitalspy.co.uk. I see they are being their typically superior and anti-American selves in response to your post. My post here would certainly be enough to get me banned on that often anti-American and certainly hostile site, especially for those with views that are either politically and socially pro-American or anywhere slightly to the right of their very leftist views, to include their moderators.

Merry Christmas :)

18. Dec 25, 2005 #18 of 137
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    FYI, the BBC World channel and it's operations isn't financed by the government, it's commercially financed, hence why the channel isn't shown in the UK. And the funny thing is, Americans HAVE noticed the channel, they have broadcasts on PBS and BBC America, and there have been signifigant requests to get it in the USA 24/7, which is why it's launching here soon.

19. Dec 25, 2005 #19 of 137
    delphi96

delphi96 Mentor

Dec 25, 2005
    Why, because we don't necessarily believe in your angles?

Most of the bias in America is from the left but for someone from Europe much of what is still left over here is right to them.

20. Dec 25, 2005 #20 of 137
    delphi96

delphi96 Mentor

Dec 25, 2005
    If the UK didn't have a TV license (government imposed and therefore financed) do you really think the BBC would exist in the first place? Of course not.

I doubt very much it has been in much demand. Most Americans would likely not even know what it is if you asked them. BBC America itself is a fringe channel only available as part of upper end satellite and cable packages. It certainly isn't mainstream and I suspect it will stay that way. Thankfully.

I believe, and I am certainly not the only one, that organization has an agenda to spread its propaganda in America and that is why they are coming here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.