1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC World News?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mhking, Dec 13, 2011.

Tags:
  1. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    We've heard excuse after excuse about why DirecTV won't carry BBC World News. First it was that BBC wouldn't make it available. Then (under NewsCorp), it was that we were going to get Sky News International. Then, after that didn't happen, it was that there was no interest in the United States. Then, it was that there was no room.

Well, now that very first excuse has been blown out of the water. According to the NY Times today, BBC World News is rolling out nationally on Comcast:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/13/b...ews-to-be-available-through-comcast.html?_r=1

The BBC will announce on Tuesday a first-of-its-kind deal for Comcast to carry the BBC World News channel, opening the door to wider distribution for the channel within the United States.

The carriage agreements come nearly a year after the BBC charted a new course for expansion in the United States, where it believes that viewers’ appetites for international news are not being satisfied by the likes of CNN, Fox News and MSNBC.

So with that being the case, NOW what will be the excuse? :bang

2. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I'm not really certain what differences there are, but I've had the BBC World Services channel on my Roku boxes for a long time. Now, it may be different from what you are looking for, but I do watch it from time to time. If you can clue me in how I can determine if this is the content that you are looking for, let me know.

I also watched the Egyptian and Libyan civil incidents stream live on my Roku using the Al Jazeera English channel. There is an English language Russian world news channel and CNN International. There's also the Swiss Army Knife like Roku Newscaster channel that streams LOTS of live and on demand news content.

All of these Roku channels are free to add, and none have any monthly service fee. In exchange, you get less than HD quality.

There is an absolute treasure trove of content that none of the pay TV providers offer. If you can live with less than HD quality and occasional stream issues, boxes like the Roku are invaluable. And at $49, cheap too.

3. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    OK, I just read your signature and I've made bold all of the channels that are on your wish list that I know for a fact are available on the Roku.

Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 1, 2 & 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV

4. myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    I'd love to see all these channels on D*.

5. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    That's just not going to happen. Carriage fees, bandwidth, demand. Some? Yes. All? Well, that's one of the reasons I bought a Roku.

6. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    New excuse:

"If the network that you want cannot be named in the same sentence as "America, hell yeah!" it is not interesting enough for us to carry it".

:D

(I would love BBC World, CNN International - they aren't available in HD, and shouldn't cost much. I would watch SD no problem with these channels, it is the information that counts, not the details of the makeup of the news persons).

7. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Perhaps the reason that BBCA HD hasn't come yet is because they want to do a package deal. The other reason is maybe it's just not worth the bandwidth to the majority of customers and even the slight increase wouldn't be worth it.

I enjoy the news and can understand wanting to know what's going on in the world however I prefer to read it rather than watch it.

8. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    The potential danger to Directv is that if boxes like Roku stream them free and you see those boxes in Walmart etc people will buy them. Once you start getting Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Vudu, Blockbuster and all those channels on the Roku it means more people will think about dropping Directv or reducing packages.

So carriers such as Directv are almost being forced to carry some channels.

Mind you, I can also see it coming to the point where Directv (either themselves or through a third party) will deliver some of these channels via the Hxxx receivers through the internet. Whats to stop them doing some deal with Roku or Netflix?

Some people think they will never put Netflix on the boxes as it competes with the Premiums. But if they can get people to sign up to Netflix through the boxes, there is a business model when Netflix pays Directv for subs, or Directv does a Dish/Blockbuster type deal.

9. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    No need to suggest or provide excuses for the absence of this level of quality programming.

I dropped by the forum the instant I read the article in the TIMES - and would have posted about it if it wasn't already up and running.

Overdue.

10. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    what about D* adding local news channels like CLTV and others? There may be room on spot beams to add them.

11. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Getting them free seems to answer their market value. Why should DIRECTV offer them if they're willing to give their content away for free. People already get these devices however they're still not mainstream items and once they get popular enough they'll do what Hulu did to get their $$.

12. quizzer

quizzer Icon

Aug 29, 2006
    Any difference in quality of CNNI and BBC World between Roku and Google TV (Logitech Revue/Sony Bluray)?

13. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    I know, right!? LONG overdue!

14. mhking

mhking Legend

Oct 27, 2002
    Atlanta
    I had never even considered a Roku box, but that might be worth considering, given the amount of content there...

15. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I can't say as I've never watched either on my Revue. The Roku has a channel up and streaming in the time it takes for chrome to load the spotlight app.

16. Peter305

Peter305 Hall Of Fame

May 24, 2006
    So BBC World News is on available 24/7 on Roku? I've checked the Roku site and I don't see it listed.

Can someone confirm or deny this?

17. tuff bob

tuff bob Icon

Mar 4, 2007
    Sky News HD please!!!!

18. Stalky14

Stalky14 Legend

Feb 18, 2005
    If BBC World is on the Roku for real for free I'll buy one today! I'm skeptical though that it's not just the looping daily "top stories" reel that is pretty easy to find online.

Also, Cox in Northern Virginia was carrying BBC World years ago.

19. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Livestation has those and Roku has Livestation.... so Yes.

20. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    you can't get that if you don't have sky.