1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BBC World -- petition

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by paulgg, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulgg

paulgg Cool Member

Aug 16, 2007
    With the lack of decent international news on Dishnetwork (since the demise of CNN International), I have been hoping that E* would pickup BBC World. E-mails to them over the past couple of years have pretty much only received canned answers.

I recently came across a petition that BBC have put up to get customers of satellite/cable companies to request that they carry BBC World: demandbbc.com

Feel free to add your name to the Dish customer list if you'd like BBC World :)

2. exegesis48

exegesis48 Mentor

Aug 8, 2007
    I signed up... BBC is by far the best television news source. What's strange is that most of the newspapers in the UK are very much tabloids (all about etertainment news and sex). Whereas here in the US, our major network news has all become tabloid news (CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, etc). About the only news in America that is REALLY news anymore is PBS (and to think the government was going to try and pull funding). At least our newspapers aren't as bad though (not to say they are fair and balanced, just they actually cover NEWS).

3. intrac

intrac Legend

Apr 2, 2006
    Be careful what you wish for. As an alternate source, they are not much better than al Jazeera.

BBC is one of the most biased news sources in the world and is so far left, they make the Democrats look like Republicans.

They call known terrorists -- freedom fighters. They are known to blame the victim.

4. Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo Godfather

Jul 11, 2007
    Well yeah, if you enjoy hearing how bad the United States is.

Really? I thought that coverage of politics was actually real news? No? I was wong?

PBS real news??? You're kidding right? Yeah, when I think of getting news, I think of PBS. Please, PBS is nothing but a publically-paid-for network that further solicites for your money by the music events that it carries in marathon form.

And the government SHOULD pull funding for the station. It should have to rely on advertisers just like every other network does. I don't think it's right for any network to be publically funded. And the BBC is one such network. I don't think I should have to pay for a channel to operate that I never watch.

Again...are you kidding??? Most newspapers around the country are losing subscribers like crazy BECAUSE they're heavily biased towards the Left. The once great New York Times is one of them.

5. exegesis48

exegesis48 Mentor

Aug 8, 2007
    I would like to defend myself and say that if anything, i consider my personal beliefs to be very Right wing based, but i still think that Fox News is a load of crap. As well as the other big news networks. If they had attempted to cover half the things that they do now ten years ago they would have been laughed off the air. Newspapers are not losing customers because of their viewpoints, they are losing customers because no one wants real news anymore, they want scandals and tabloids. Lets take a look at some of today's headlines:

Fox News - "...teen love turns tragic", "...dad tasered while holding infant", "man kissed ill wife and threw her off balcony"

MSNBC - "REPUBLICANS FOR HILLARY!?!", "...Bush's daughter jenna gets engaged"

CNN - "LIVE COVERAGE! Floods trap man in tree!", "Britney's TOPLESS pool romp!" "Pedophile blogger tiptoes around the law!"

Now lets see what's on PBS news?

PBS - "...terrorist Padilla convicted", "Economic Anxiety in America", "No Child Left Behind and how it effects our teachers", "Campaign Spouses role on the campaign trail"

Now you will obviously realize that i picked and chose the stories to best illustrate my point, i will admit that, obviously! But what i would like to point out is that the stories that i pointed out for FXNWS, MSBNC and CNN, are ALL HEADLINE NEWS! They aren't stories that are mentioned, they are what is being played on repeat all day long.

PBS will NOT cover Britney Spears or Paris Hilton. PERIOD. They are NOT news. Until something that either of them does has an impact on what happens in the world or america, they should NOT be on the news. The big news channels should not be about what sells, that's ridiculous, they should cover what's news. Leave popularity contests to E! channel and the like. PBS and the BBC are what they are solely because they are publicly funded. As soon as they have to compete for viewers we lose the only glimmer of hope we have for real news. All news is bias, especially the BBC, but they cover REAL news, and that's what matters to me. I can draw my own conclusions, whether they are slanted one way or another.

6. paulgg

paulgg Cool Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I quite agree with pretty much all you said. No matter what your political point of view, it is important to be informed, and if you believe the news you're watching is politically biased, at least you can see how 'the other side' thinks.

And, my main point is that I believe that adding another 'serious', informative channel to Dish's line up would be a good thing. (Now if they only had a petition to reduce the number of shopping channels....;)

7. lpmiller

lpmiller AllStar

Mar 8, 2007
    It's important to know what others think of us, and no, they don't run stories like "USA SUCKS!! REVOKE INDEPENDENCE!!"

Yes, covering haircut prices and cleavage is totally political.

It's publicly funded because it's the publics network. It's not like it's a welfare network we support because they can't make a buck, it's supposed to be for everyone. It's our network.

and this isn't even remotely accurate. Newspapers are failing because of cable news, and because of Internet news. Period.

People need to get over the fallacy that media is left wing. Media is not left wing. Media is a whore. They put on whatever gets the most eyes to the screens, and generates the most ad dollars. Any bias is just target marketing. That's what makes them irrelevant half time. That and our apparent need to gravitate to media that only reflects our world view, instead of constantly challenging it.

8. exegesis48

exegesis48 Mentor

Aug 8, 2007
    Heh, there's a lot of older people on Dish Network who can't leave their houses. I'm sure the shopping network channels are a god send. Gotta spend that social security on something, lol. (hopefully everyone takes that as a joke as I am not wanting to offend anyone else by saying something controversial).

9. leegart

leegart Legend

Dec 18, 2004
    I agree. Both BBC and CNN-International do a much better job of covering the news and do it in a substantive, in depth manner. CNN-Domestic dumbs it down and could be called "FAUX News Light."

10. cornflakes

cornflakes Legend

Sep 30, 2005
    I just have a problem with news reporters over-dramaticizing (is that a word?) everything and singling out a single sob story in the middle of a bigger story. If there's a tragedy, or an accident, or something, I'd like to know what happened, just the facts. Not how Jim was about to celebrate his baby daughter's 1st birthday by going out to buy candles for her birthday cake and he died in the accident, and now the baby's going to grow up without a father, and the mother's a poor immigrant with no money and can't support the baby (just an example story).

This is especially true in the local news.

11. Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo Godfather

Jul 11, 2007
    And I can definately agree to that.

The over dramatization of every minor or major story in the news is definately a problem.

But here's where I place the blame: the 24-hour news cycle. In other words...air time. The 24-hour newsd services have to have something to fill their air time or people will tune out. (Fill in your own $ joke here.) Take for example the HDNEWS channel that VOOM has. They repeat their stories every half hour or so, and they use the same FOOTAGE of the news casters!!! So it's boring. That's why the cable news networks maintain viewership, because they make their broadcasts exciting, by either over-dramatizing the stories and/or changing hosts and bringing in guest speakers.

So really, in essence, the cable news nertworks are victims of their own success. What made them popular over other sources is what's turning them into jokes.

What I don't get is why is FOX News always singled out as aso-called "biased" network? Does it lean conservative? Yeah, but every other network leans liberal. So for those trumpeting a free speech society, they should embrace hearing all sides of the story. But those on the far left want to silence FOX News, and I wonder why. Is it fear, I wonder? Fear that their beliefs are being challenged? A challenge that they aren't used to dealing with since broadcast TV started decades ago?

And let me just say this...I turned voting age in '91, so my first election was the '92 Election. I voted for Clinton twice, and for Al Gore in 2000. But 19 terrorist ramming airplanes into buildings kinda changed my mind. When I saw how the Dems and their anti-war base reacted to 9/11, I decided that I could no longer support the party and left to become a Republican. This wasn't Vietnam, this time they attacked us directly, and treating it as a law enforcement issue where some people wanted to send police to Afghanistan to "arrest" UBL, I thought was just silly. And then you have the conspiracy theorists who believe we attacked ourselves... That was it for me.

Well, anyway...back to tabloid news...yeah I can agree that that stuff needs to be cut down to a minimum, but that's why I stopped watching the Morning News Talk shows, and why Katie Courich is failing at CBS.

12. emathis

emathis Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 19, 2003
    Most Americans believe the world revolves around them. Believe it or not there is a lot of things going on in this world that don't have anything to do with us. It would still be nice to be informed about these things, but most news sources in this country would rather not bother you with these stories. It would cut into their celebrity news I'm sure.

13. cornflakes

cornflakes Legend

Sep 30, 2005
    Fox News gets called out for leaning right because 1) right now I think the general overall attitude of the country is leaning left, so they don't care if CNN leans left... to them that's good.

2) Fox likes to claim they are fair & balanced, so if you're going to make that claim you better not lean left or right.

14. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    From a business standpoint Fox News made a GREAT decision to go the direction they are. They exist as the only non left leaning (read as conservative or middle of the road whichever you wish) television news source. The leftists out there (which is the majority of journalists) are splitting their market and leaving the majority to Fox and Fox keeps winning the ratings EVERY night in EVERY time slot. I can't bare to watch some of the Fox shows. I can't stand Shep Smith's broken English delivery. I can't stand the constant interruptions on Hannity and Colmes, the world isn't big enough for O'Reilley's ego and the stories that Gretta gets stuck with have no interest to me (mostly sensational garbage). Count me as one conservative who can't stand the prime time line up on Fox.

15. leegart

leegart Legend

Dec 18, 2004
    FAUX is Conservative (but no journalism to be found there) and the other networks do a disappointing job of reporting the news. BBC and CNN-International do a good job of reporting the news.

16. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    For Eastern Massachusetts maybe....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.