1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Be Very Careful With Dish Smartcard Replacements!

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by Mark Lamutt, Feb 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    This message serves as a warning!

Today I received one of the new yellow smartcards to replace the blue one in one of my 508s. The replacement went fine and dandy, with the programming tuned back on within the stated time.

However, (and stupid me, I didn't even think to check), the smartcard replacement blew away all of the timers that I had set on that 508, so nothing recorded tonight. When I pull up the timers screen on the 508, I have 7 timers listed there, 6 of which are for the same event on the same channel. The other 12 timers that I had set are now gone.

So, if and when you are instructed to replace your smartcard, make absolutely sure that you know what timers you have set, and CHECK THEM AFTER THE REPLACEMENT!

2. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I hope they get this fixed becase I will not replace the smart cards if this is the bull I will have to deal with unless they want to make up for my time and aggervation.

I didnt know they were replacing them in the newer receivers now, are they replacing them only in the DVR and higher priced receivers right now or in the 301's as well?

3. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I have no idea. My 921 already has a yellow smartcard, but I also have 2 508s on my account. Both had the blue smartcards, but I received 1 new yellow one today in the mail for one of the 508s.

I've reported the problem to everyone I can think of from the beta team all the way up to the CEOs office.

4. Randy_B

Randy_B Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Why just the 508? I have 501 and 510, both with blue cards, is the intention to eventually roll these out to all exiting blue cards or is there some special issue with the 508(???)?

5. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    Wow you have a 510 with a blue card? In the users group where people are trying to figure out how to put a bigger hard drive in the 50x they thought that a 120 gig hard drive required a yellow card.

6. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I suspect that all 5xx receivers that have the blue cards will get swapped out for yellow cards. I doubt it's a special issue with the 508, as it's exactly the same software as in the 501 and 510.

7. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    How about the Dishplayers? These units are the most popular with the pirates based on EBay prices.... Are there plans to upgrade them as well?

8. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I have no idea - I knew that smart card replacements were coming for some receivers, but hadn't had any confirmation until I got one yesterday in the mail.

9. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Thanks for the heads-up, Chris.

Now that the much-maligned Dishplayer has morphed into one of the most stable Dish PVR/DVR platforms (except for a couple of unresolved minor quirks), I hope E* doesn't screw things up if they send a new card for it.

10. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    This just in......

Hell HAS frozen over.

Film at 11.

11. rvd420

rvd420 Legend

Mar 10, 2003
    My Dishplayer 7200 has been very stable with the last software release.
    Only Major bug has been if I unplug the 7200 to move it. (re-arrange furniture)
    the 10 min download chrases and the 7200 hangs. But if as soon as the 10 min d/l starts if I power down...then after power light stops blinking I power up.
    It will bring me to the 7200 home. Then from there do a switch check , then the 7200 does a 15 min d/l and everything is good to go.

12. aaronp

aaronp Cool Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Yeah, those new smartcards lost my Pay-per-view info too! Darn, now I won't have to pay for that movie I watched on the old card.

13. Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    Our 501 came with a yellow card when we got it added to our DHP in August 2003. Seems to work fine.

14. normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    Was it a fluke that the timers were trashed with the replacement of the smart card, or is timer info stored on that card?

15. BarryO

BarryO Legend

Dec 16, 2003
    Here's another one: I got a replacement smartcard for my 6000, which sat in the mailbox for a while. In the mean time, I got a 921 (which already had one of the newer, yellow, cards), and had it activated. A couple of weeks after that, 'finally got around to setting the 6000 up in another room, which must have been the same day they de-activated the 6000's old blue card. I replaced the 6000's card, and got it verified no problem. But guess what? The 921 had lost its authorization!! It seems that, at the same time Dish cancelled the 6000's blue card, they nuked my 921, too! I called the CSR, and she had no record of the 921! She had to re-authorize it from scratch. Weird.

16. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Well this one gets stranger and stranger. All but one of my timers were back tonight - and I didn't do anything to get them back. They were not there this morning when I checked. So, 24 hours after the card swap, all but one came back.

I have no idea...

17. wcswett

wcswett Godfather

Jan 7, 2003
    Oooo... thanks for the warning! My 921 and 510 both have yellow cards but my 721 has a blue card and a LOT of timers on it.

--- WCS

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    May be after next 24 hours the last timer will reappear ?

19. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I have seen some pretty strange things such as this happen before. When these timers reappear and you already had other timers programmed in you would end up having two timers for the same event firing at the same time wouldn't you? This would cause a LOT of confustion. It would be nice to have the timers stored on an internal chip in case the hard drive or software fails, although I think that is what it is stored on now, put perhaps a seperate one just for specific things such as that.

20. RobertB

RobertB Cool Member

Oct 15, 2002
    So, once you replace the blue card with the yellow card, what do you do with it? Does Dish want it back?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.