1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bears suck

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by brett1198, Dec 20, 2009.

1. brett1198

brett1198 Cool Member

Jun 16, 2007
    gb at ptt game is on [DIRECTV] 714-1 in Chicago. Thank god!

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I've never tried that (sounds dangerous) but I've heard they bite. :eek:

3. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I hope thay are enjoying their new quarterback. We are enjoying ours! :D

4. Cubbies_26

Cubbies_26 New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I'm new to DirecTv so pardon me if this is a simple question, but why are we getting more than 1 Fox game at the same time? Not that I'm complaining, but I'm wondering if I've missed a bunch of games this year when I didn't bother to check channels other than CBS when the Bears were on Fox. I don't subscribe to Sunday Ticket, so I didn't think this was possible.

5. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Cutler and interceptions--25 this year. Second to Brett Favre since 2000. (Who had 29 as a Packer in 2005.)

Cheers,
    Tom

6. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Cutler is awesome.:rolleyes::nono2:

7. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    What channels are you getting games on?

Normally you only would have your local Fox game.

Unless--the NFL and Fox agreed to let you have more games this week given the last minute schedule changes?

Cheers,
    Tom

8. Cubbies_26

Cubbies_26 New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I am getting the Bears vs Raven on 32 (my local Fox station) and Packers vs Steelers on 714-1. I didn't think this was possible either and wouldn't have bothered to check if I didn't see the first post in this series from another guy in Chicago who mentioned he was watching both games.

9. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Yeah, I'm thinking NFL and Fox let everyone get the late Packer game because of the schedule shift.

Cheers,
    Tom

10. Cubbies_26

Cubbies_26 New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    That makes sense---this is a pretty exciting game so I'm glad it worked out this way.

11. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    He lost to Oakland today.

12. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I will enjoy it alot more when Denver is either eliminated from playoff contention or from the playoffs. They are not talented enough to beat the better teams in the AFC for sure.

13. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That's my guess as well... I believe if it weren't for the weather, the Baltimore game would have been on at 1pm and probably not available in some of the markets that got it today.

14. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    1 - Cutler is not as bad as the 25 interceptions dictate. There are SOOOOO many other problems on this team, more then half of those interception where directly caused by other reasons they the QB throwing it (Receiver falling down, receiver turning left instead of right, FANTASTIC defense plays, some missed calls by the refs)

Others were cause by frankly having to throw the ball early and quickly as he was about to get smacked down due to the O-Line that has more holes the swiss cheese.

Others were caused by him frankly trying to do everything he can to win the game because the running game totally disappeared.

I still have plenty of hope in Cutler for future season, but season was a total loss.
    Ultimately Cutler is responsible for the ball, but having watched probably 95% of the interceptions, don't take the number as a straight up indicator.

2- You can have Orton. Honestly, with everything else that has gone wrong with the Bears this year. He probably would have been pulled mid season, and the Bears would be in no better position then they are without him.

3- It is at the point, when the fans know exactly what offensive play is going to be called in almost every situation. If we know.... you bet the other team knows.

As for the original post, about what game is where.
    Yesterday's airing of football was so messed up because of games changing kick-off Saturday, usually things are pretty balanced though.

15. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Mdoerator! Moderator! Someone hacked the member list and is using Earl Bonovich's screen name! :lol:

Isn't Cutler one of the saviors that Danny-boy wanted to buy fr the Redskins? What was his quarterback rating yesterday, 7.9? Is that the lowest rating ever by a quarterback who played more than half a game?

16. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    :D

17. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Sorry Earl...but I don't share your views on Cutler.

With all the fanfare about his arrival ("The first real quarterback since 1985") - this was a trainwreck waiting to happen. It seemed interesting that when he left Denver, few seemed upset about his leaving...a "sign"...

He whines and hangs his head on the bench, complains and makes excuses for every mistake, and argues most calls with the officials. Several times, I've even seen other team-mates give him funny looks as he heads off the field.

The last thing a team like the Bears need (more holes than Swiss cheese) is a non-leader. Unless they suddenly transform into a team with 10+ wins per season, I see his behavior only getting worse.

Giving him a contract extension....not to mention old Lovie getting one too....were two of the dumbest things the Bears have done in recent years.

The team needs a makeover.

18. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005

The fanfair was radically over the top, but my opinion.... that was so media driven and not fan driven it was crazy. Most fans that I know, were happy with the trade but not over the top crazy. But the level the media kept putting it on our faces around here, and training camp, and everything else... arggg... I do think he is one of the better potential QB's that we have seen in a very long time, but only the long term play will dictate where he will sit in Bear's history.

Plus given the last 25 years of QB history in this team, can you blame the media (and the fans to a degree) for being excited?

The hanging his head, the bodly language, the facial expressions.... so? He is not happy with his play, the play of overall team. Maybe the cameras could pan out a bit and get the facial expressions of the fans both at the statdium and at home... they were not much different.

He wears his fealings on his sleeve instead of hiding them. I don't mind that one bit. As for the complaining to the Officials. Don't mind that one bit. Most of the time when they focused on it, he was right. I would gather to bet that most QB's and leaders on the team complain about plays not called. Heck, almost every wide receiver knows the motion for throwing a flag when they miss catching the ball.

And then again, when you zoom in on a guy during the game, he can only see part of the play. How often do things look one way, but then when you see it on tape it is something else.

In my opinion, Cutler was never going to be their leader. And I typically disagree that that QB needs to be the Offensive leader. The Bears right now, really have no leader. Offense or Defense. There isn't one person on the active roster you would call a leader right now.

Lovie got his extension the year after they went to the Super Bowl, and all indications were at the time that they had the precence to be a viable contender for the playoff for a while. Didn't work out. I do think the Bears need to eat his contract.

As for Cutler's extension, I do believe it was early for that, but given the uncertaintly with the CBA, I won't even pretend to know what was going through the minds of all the people involved.

The Bears have done a LOT of dumb things hind-sight. The book is in on Lovie, and the first chapter of Cutler isn't great, but there are few more chapters left in that book.

Obviously this sounds like I am defending the guy.... As a Bear's fan, this has been a major let down of a year. Not that I expected a Super Bowl win, but I was at least expecting the team to be competitive. Yesterday was just the prime example, all the focus because of the travel, and then it turning out it a waste of time to play the game.

But honestly, I can say I am still glad the Bears made the trade. If anything, it is pointing out all the other MAJOR MAJOR issues with the team. I really think it is a chain reaction from the O-Line being so bad. No running, means you get down early, a lot more three an outs, and you go pass happy. Keeping the TE's to block on passing plays, means they can't get out there to be an option in the passing plays. Forget the play-action.

Then you have the defense that gets highligheted in all of this, because they are out there so much. Loosing Urhlacher in the middle just destroyed the design of the defense. Say what you want about him, but the fact that Offenses had to plan for him.... which left Briggs and others more free.... and most of the secondary changed every week.

The Bears need two true safety's not the hack jobs they have now. They need another cornerback, as Peanut does his job very well, but the teams just stay away from him. The Bears went through 6 maybe 7 starting linebackers this year. The D-Line was a rollercoaster at best.

I completely totally agree the team needs a major major overhaul from the front office all the way down. Problem is, that the type of changes the team needs to make are going to take multiple seasons, maybe even 5+ years.

I think the worst thing that happened to the Bears was that they got hot during the playoffs and went to the SuperBowl a few years back. Loved that they where there, but that team will go down as one of the top 10 teams that got there by the "Any Given Sunday" rule, then being a dominant team that was the best team to be there.

Oh well.... season has been over for a few weeks, just a statistically point now. Can't even say wait for next year, but oh well... at least Hockey in this town is doing very well.

19. uncouth

uncouth AllStar

Nov 7, 2007
    Wow Earl, you stole all of my thunder. Dangit...

To put it in my own words: Cutler is the least of our worries. Get him a line that can block, a receiver that can remember his routes, and a running game to take some of the heat off, and he'll do just fine.

Orton? Please... Those that have watched him on a regular basis here in Chicago know all there is to know. If you have a great D, he can manage the game. Just barely. =]

Seriously though, if you're a Chicago Bears fan, you know there are many other holes to plug on this team. Cutler will be just fine...

20. EagleClaw

EagleClaw AllStar

Sep 24, 2007
    With all that just about anyone can be a good quarterback, right? :sure: