1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Beautiful People" - NBC Takes Another Shot at Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Drew2k, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I heard about this for the first time today... NBC is casting for a new series named "Beautiful People", about a society not to far in the future where robots look like people and an argument is being started about whether the "mechanicals" are entitled to civil rights.

Sounds like it's mixing a bit of "I, Robot", "Caprica", "Blade Runner", and "AI" so I'm intrigued by the concept, but do we trust NBC to fully support it and not kill it midway through the first season? Or schedule it in a death-slot?

Some more info at the "Deadline" exclusive: http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/nbc-futuristic-pilot-cast-first-two-regulars/

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    One can always hope. Michael MacDonald, the shows creator and writer, has strong credentials though heavily in comedy ("Cougar Town" and "MadTV" for instance). Stephen Hopkins, the director of the pilot, also has strong credentials including some scifi and horror. Since it is a production of both ABC Studios and Universal TV, the latter being a subsidiary of NBCU, maybe it will have a financial chance on the 2012-13 "rebuilding" NBC.

I liked Brit James Murray in "Primeval" and "Chaos" and Patrick Heusinger is a strong actor. But the critical role will be "the very wealthy Lydia," the widowed mother of Murray's character. Murray is 37 so Mom is going to have to be 60ish and be willing to work cheap even as a show's star.

The problem is what market they are aiming at. NBC comes with three dedicated viewers. Science fiction on network TV has a reliable appeal of about 3 million viewers with another 3 million potentials consisting of highly critical geeks and nerds who have trouble with any "weak" plot moves away from blowing people away, moves like character and relationship development. The additional 10 million viewers needed to make a show successful aren't really impressed with science fiction but like procedurals with interesting characters.

If NBC could reliably get, oh say, a 2.2/6 - 8+ million rating, they'd have to consider it a hit if it doesn't cost too much. It sounds to me like the CGI budget would be relative inexpensive, and initially the showrunners and actors are not budget killers.

So I'd say it has a chance.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

4. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    Probably not mine either. Add in that NBC is unlikely to finish the story and I'm not likely to bother.

5. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Here's the problem: this concept wants to be very sexy, HBO sexy, and NBC is infamous for pandering to the Moral Majority and Congress and any Southern Jesus Society who wants to threaten them with boycotts over content. Thus the show will lack any of the edge it deserves, thus it will suck.

This is a very good reason why the broadcast nets are dying fast: they can't possibly compete with pay nets and cable shows that show edge and use language. Folks get use to sophisticated adult entertainment there and aren't that willing to return to these sanitized, formulaic net shows appropriate for 8 year olds. It's literally demeaning to the audience to have to watch this pablum.

Terra Nova is a good example: it has all the dramatic honesty and character sophistication of Lost in Space. It's literally dumbed-down for kids, and morons.

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    "Beautiful People" may not be all that far fetched. Yahoo is currently showing a video titled "Eerie Robot Looks and Talks Like a Human". Made me think of "Westworld" while viewing it.

7. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I think your wish has been granted. Frances Conroy (Six Feet Under, American Horror Story) just signed on to play the matriarch.

8. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Wow! I know there are a number of good actresses that age out there, but she's perfect and a great actor. She even would have been 21 when Murray was born so they didn't try to cheat.

9. starzinger

starzinger New Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Every shot at sci-fi gets an applaud from me and with Frances Conroy onboard I'm all in.

The story does look a lot like this other tv show called Real Humans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKOZoAdhHso&

The idea of artificial humans isn't new but it's an interesting coincident.