1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Before I leave Dish anyone have a solution?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by inet27, Dec 16, 2012.

1. inet27

inet27 New Member

Dec 16, 2012
    We currently have two DVR's in our house. We like to keep our recordings separate. We want to upgrade to Hopper for one of the receivers but we will loose our ability to have two separate DVR's as Dish doesn't allow this.

I haven't seen a way to keep content separate in the Hopper, does that exist? What other options do I have to stay with Dish? Otherwise I'm heading back to DirecTV as they allow for the Gennie and another HD DVR.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    One can have two Hoppers ... although in a normal set up the Hoppers can see each other's content (through a menu option to view the other Hopper). Joeys are generally tied to one Hopper but can be paired to the other easily once one knows the menus.

3. TheGrove

TheGrove AllStar

Jan 9, 2007
    Go with 2 Hoppers, that will give you the 2 DVR's you want. To keep the recordings private you will need to put an external hard drive on the Hoppers and transfer your recordings to it.

Each Hopper can see the recordings on the other Hopper via a menu in the recordings list, but you can not view recordings on an external hard drive connected to a Hopper on the other Hopper.

4. inet27

inet27 New Member

Dec 16, 2012
    I appreciate the input. Called Dish and they will not send two hoppers only with no Joey's. They would rather loose a customer than accommodate the request. Looks like I'll be going back to DirecTV.

5. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    There are posts on this and other sites, Dish does not allow it, but that does not mean it can't be done. You order your system as 2H/2J and when installer shows let him know that the Joeys are not needed, or you can have the 2H/2J system set up and remove the Joeys from the system later.

6. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    An isolator on the dual node will keep 2 Hoppers separate. Many here have gotten 2 Hopper no Joey setups through Dealers. Others have just refused the Joeys at installation.

(BTW, doesn't the Genie see the other HD DVR?)

7. inet27

inet27 New Member

Dec 16, 2012
    For those of you with two hoppers. Is the main hopper DVR content on one page and there's another menu option to see content on the other hopper? We just want to be able to see that "local" hopper's content when looking at the DVR listings.

8. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Using the isolator at install will keep the two Hoppas separated.

9. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Yes. You have to choose to look at the other Hopper. The content and timers are not directly shared between the two.

10. inet27

inet27 New Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Great RasputinAXP. That's how I thought it worked but needed some reassurance as it's a "Big Deal" for my other half.

I got it all ordered so hopefully the install goes smoothly!

Thanks everyone for answering my questions!