1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

before you choose dish (rant)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Blockhead, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blockhead

Blockhead AllStar

Jan 20, 2004
    I recently dumped dish for verizon fios which was initially a financial decision more than anything it saved me over 100 dollars bundling things together. In may of 2006 I purchased a 622 reciever from dish because there was no lease promotion at that time. Around the same time I also purchased a 510 from ebay. Now I went to close my account and after 3 phone calls and 90 minutes of various hold time I am told that I need to return all recievers on my account. I dispute that the 622 was purchased and what I was told ultimately was that the 299 was for the privelege of leasing it and if I didnt return it they would charge me 599. Also the 510 needed to be returned because when they add any reciever to your account that you didnt buy from them they look at it as a lease. I have put up with the constant resets, the varying picture quality the poor customer service all for over 6 years and 11,000 dollars. They could care less because it costs much more to maintain an existing customer than to create 4 or 5 new ones. Just be warned that the equipment you think you own is never really yours.

2. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Correct, at the time the $299 was a deposit on the 622 to lease. That is factual information.

That receiver cost much more than $299 to produce, at least at that time. The 510 you can dispute.

email ceo@dishnetwork .com and explain your situation nicely. Do not rant. I'm sure you'll find some assistance on the 510. But the 622 you will have to send back if you do not want to be charged for it. And if IIRC, if you do not return a leased receiver, it would not be allowed to be reactivated.

Good luck with Fios.... I have had friends try it, and their DVR leaves much to be desired.

3. bigshew

bigshew Legend

Feb 26, 2007
    You shouldn't send Dish the 510. I bought one used about 3 or 4 years ago, registered it with Dish and used it for about 2 years, then deactivated it after I upgraded to a 622. I did return a 508 that was a lease. Later, I sold the 510 and never heard a peep from Dish and that was almost 2 yrs ago.

4. Skeeterman

Skeeterman Legend

Jun 24, 2003
    D/N tried that with me back in 2003 when I had to make a round of duty to one of the "armpit" of the world countries. I had purchased my own 508 PVR, and JVC 301 from a dealer a year earlier. Paid hard counterfeited cash for both units, plus a Dish 500. When I called in 2003 to have D/N to drop the programming for a year, they wanted their receivers returned. I spring from the chair, and yelled... the Charlton Heston way.... you will have to pry these receivers "from my cold, dead hands", Dish Network. I still have those 508 and 301 receivers.

5. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    they're right on the 622. The 510 added as leased instead of owned when it was originally added. That's an issue fairly easily fixed. Do what he said and send the polite e-mail about the 510.

6. ardvarkus

ardvarkus New Member

Aug 5, 2008

Do you get your deposit back?

If 'no', then it doesn't sound like a 'deposit'. :)

What I don't understand is how there can be legal agreements underlying all this stuff that seems to be a mystery to the customers.... for example try and get a current "complete written 'contract'" from DN. It is impossible. There are multiple agreements, some posted, some incorrect and outdated, and then the unwritten stuff which seems to be retained only by DN on their 'system'. Very frustrating for people who like to know what they are agreeing to!

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I believe the actual name of the $299 fee was a "lease upgrade fee". A nice 'little' fee that they charged customers for the honor of upgrading to a leased ViP-622 DVR receiver. :)

Sorry, not a deposit - a fee. Fortunately a fee that has come down a lot since then.

More info on 2006 deals ...
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=501846

8. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I assume that any money Dish gets from me is spent, gone. The same holds true for my ISP Comcast or the phone company or the cell phone company or the power company.

And if Dish would replace my two owned 508's with a leased 722 or 712 without an upfront fee of some kind, they can have them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.