1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"bells and whistles" for my webpage

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by n8dagr8, Jun 17, 2005.

1. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    I was wondering how one goes about changing/adding the little icon that shows up in the address bar and what the bar at the top of the browser says (also seen in the task bar).

I am using microsoft publisher (I know but it's so easy).

Thanks,

N8

2. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    The title at the task bar is simple
    <title>whatever you want at the top of the page</title>

BTW, just as easy as Publisher with many more internet features is MS Front Page. You can start off with the free Front Page Express. But the full blown thing is much more functional. I made the trasition from Publisher to Front Page about 6 years ago.

And I have yet to find a GUI HTML publisher that can handle the channel chart. They all crash with the exception of Front Page XP. Even Front Page 2003 chokes on the chart! :)

See ya
    Tony

3. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    The little icon is called a favicon. You can get more information here about the process to create one.

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
  5. n8dagr8

Aug 14, 2004
    Is this included in XP pro? I couldn't find it anywhere on my computer. That was what I was planning on using until I couldn't find it. I then went with publisher.

6. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Frontpage. Publisher. Gives me the willies. <Shudder>

Thankfully, I have a part time job originally thanks to web pages designed with both of these programs. First thing on the todo list was to rewrite them properly instead of the pseudo-HTML they produce.

7. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    n8dagr8,

Looks like Front Page Express is gone. I can't find it any more. It was included with MSIE a while back and that is how I got hooked on it rather than using Publisher.

The full blown MS Front Page not part of the basic MS Office XP. It is part of MS Office with with Front Page. It is also available as a stand alone. There is tons of support for Front Page. Just do a search in google and you will see lots of "guru" web sites.

As to CRDU's comment, yes MS Front Page has some problems as does MS Publisher with extranious HTML crap and some non-standard code, but it is as easy and versitile a GUI author as you can find out there with the widest compatibility to other browsers. All the other GUI programs I found, require an advanced degree in dweebness and web design or are completely unreliable in compatibility to other browsers. Front Page is as easy as it gets with many advanced features.

See ya
    Tony

8. JonBlack

JonBlack Legend

Feb 24, 2005
    FrontPage and Publisher is non-HTML 4.01 compliant with all of the proprietary code added.

It's more expensive but I would use Dreamweaver instead!

Personally, I do all my code from notepad. A guy in the office calls me "hardcore and old school". I haven't figured out if he's complimenting or insulting me. :confused:

9. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Dreamweaver is the most complicated, convoluted, counterintuitive POS I ever tried. I still have it on my computer and it sits there without being used because of how hard it is to use. Remember, GUI. Just keep that in mind. Ease of use and intuitive.

People keep telling me that MS Front Page writes non-compliant code, however the results work fine on all the browsers I try when testing the pages (IE, Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, Netscape). I say that if the program works on the browsers more than 98% of computer users have, it's good enough!

See ya
    Tony

10. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I agree with the FrontPage recommendation. Like, Tony, I tried to use Dreamweaver and hated it. The code may be simpler (?) than FP, but in reality, who is going to notice? Ease of use is what I require, and FP provides.

For bells and whistles, simple javasript routines can be pretty impressive. Here's a few places I 'borrow' from (and yes, you can insert easily using FrontPage):

http://www.twinhelix.com/
    http://javascript.internet.com/
    http://dynamicdrive.com/

11. JonBlack

JonBlack Legend

Feb 24, 2005
    Fine don't use Dreamweaver :D

I just recommended it because it writes compliant code. I don't think it's that great (or I would use it instead of Notepad) but FrontPage and Publisher isn't good either. As for the compliant code, nothing sucks worse than writing something than having someone complain using Firefox because it inserts a bunch of MS IE proprietary code. It doesn't always happen but it does occur with me.

I would avoid Javascript as much as possible because it too client dependent and you don't know what the client what will interpret the code as. Although, I realize it's a necessary evil in many circumstances.

I guess this is getting overboard for someone just trying to change FAVICON and the webpage title.... :lol:

12. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Front Page Express can be found here. IIRC it was included with some versions of Windows 95 or 98 and you used to be able to download it direct from MS. I have it on my machines for some reason, even though I like Dreamweaver much better.

13. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I second your comments. I use Dreamweaver on a daily basis as well as VS.net for my ASP coding although Dreamweaver will do some ASP itself. Obviously it's not for everyone, but to me Dreamweaver is one of the best tools out there.

But as you said, real web designers only use notepad. :)

14. n8dagr8

Aug 14, 2004
    yeah, again, how do I get on the internet? :lol: It is a bit much but the more you learn, the more you know, right? Well, that's what they tell me.

15. n8dagr8

Aug 14, 2004

thanks for the link. I will install it when I get home and give it a go.

edit: alright,got the favicon to work. Will work on the page title when I get back home.

16. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    It's not much, but you're welcome :)

17. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Since we've strayed into HTML editors, is there a way to specify which programs can be accessed from the IE edit button? I realize that once I install Front Page Express (thanks for the link) it should be added as an option to Tools>Options>Programs. If I don't use that though I would like to use WordPad instead of Notepad w/o having to leave IE to launch it.

18. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I beleive this is what you need to follow BobaBird.

19. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    That's precisely what I was looking for. Worked just fine with Windows Me even though it was only fully tested in XP.

20. n8dagr8

Aug 14, 2004
    Alright....I have the page up and running. New problem (which I'm sure comes back to me being lazy and using MS Pub.) - when I view the page on PIE it moves things around. Microsoft is about the biggest joke when it comes to getting help. They insist that it has nothing to do with publisher (dude actually told me to uncheck the "fit to screen" option). Why then, is this the only web page that I have seen do this?