1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

benefits of broadband over phone line connection?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by brant, Dec 20, 2008.

1. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    hey directv customers, could you help me answer this?

i'm a dish customer so i'm not familiar with your equipment. one of my customers wants to know what the benefits of using a broadband connection to their high def receivers vs. phone line are. using broadband requires the purchase of a new switch, so it needs to be justified. besides not using the phone for movie purchases and such, are there any broadband specific benefits?

i downloaded an HR21 manual and it mentioned something about added features to on-demand programming, but wasn't more specific than that.

thanks.

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    There are several uses for this. On Demand is delivered over an internet connection. The Direct2pc software application can stream recorded content to a networked PC. Media Share can access video, music and pictures on a networked computer. Possibly some other applications using a broadband connection will be available in the future.

3. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    Having the phone line allows for caller ID and calls to directv for PPV.
    The internet allows for DOD, PPV calls and if you run Tversity on a computer in
    your network allows internet feeds through it to your computer. It also will allow widgets in the future. Then all the phone does is caller ID.

4. Chop69

Chop69 Legend

Aug 11, 2007
    It should also be pointed out that you don't actually need either.

That said, if possible, I would network.

5. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    great; thanks for the reply