1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

BENEFITS OF BROADBAND

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by RG6-Q, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Nov 1, 2013 #1 of 17
    RG6-Q

RG6-Q New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    PUERTO RICO
    Hello Guys:

I recently plugged my CATV DSL to my Ethernet Port on my Router. Now I get phone line and broadband connected on my counters. I have just about every package E* has to offer. I don't like watching contents on my cel phone or computer. I rather go the full splendor of watching on my very good HDTV and I don't want everyone in the house left and right downloading. I do not have the BB package since in our area they are not available in HD for the most part.

To make it short, are there any benefits in having it connected for the reasons stated above, I already have phone lines connected on all receivers so is there anything I might be missing??????

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Nov 1, 2013 #2 of 17
    Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    Some channels you subscribe to with your programming package provide On Demand content you can view from your receiver. You can also order PPV with the broadband or phone line connection. Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, they recently scrambled all channels at my apartment complex. I guess most people already had boxes, but I used my Samsung's capability to receive their standard local package that's free to the residents untill they really scrambled it. Now I have a crappy little unit that does pull in those limited channels.... in SD! What a ripoff. But I have satellite at my house, and AppleTV at the apartment, so comcrap can take a hike.

4. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Out here is rural Oregon, we only have three choices for high speed, satellite, cel tower, or cable. There is no DSL. So far Charter Cable is unlimited. I took their phone and internet, but I kept Dish as their offerings are much better than Charter, but I did get the discount for having a bundle of the 2 out of 3. I am paying for the first year $60 monthly for phone and internet. Phone is $19.95 and the internet is $39.95. The internet goes to $49.95 a month after the first year. I hope Comcast does not start a trend. In the cities, people do have a choice and DSL is available. Maybe not as fast, but available. Out here, so far it isn't available.

5. John79605

John79605 Legend

Feb 9, 2007
    With the phone line connected you can have Caller ID. With broadband connected your receivers "phone home" daily and Dish will know if a problem develops. I once had a service call generated by a receiver.

6. Tiny

Tiny Mentor

Feb 1, 2009
  7. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    OMG! DISH is number 18....

8. BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    You can connect to your receiver through the internet and schedule recordings. There have been times when I've been travelling and seen an interesting TV show advertised or playing in the background. I go onto the dish web site and schedule a timer. When I return home, the program is waiting for me.

9. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Is it certain that the receiver needs to be internet connected in order to set a recording via the internet? It'd be possible for the info to be relayed via sat., but this is a question, not a statement!

10. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    Yes it works through the internet. If your receivers are broadband connected, you can do all this from your phone with the Dish Anywher App.

11. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    So, you are sure that the receiver has to be connected, that there's no chance the signal to record can be relayed via sat.?

12. BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj Mentor

Feb 26, 2007
    Of course it is technically possible for Dish to send a record signal to individual receivers via the satellite. A few times a year my receiver records some junk commercials. Dish probably spams all the receivers with a recording instruction, but it's the same idea.

However, I went to the dish anywhere page and got "Your DISH receiver must be online to access this feature" when I tried to program a disconnected receiver. I think they do require an internet connection.

13. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Many thanks! I am not able to test such, so I really appreciate the info.

14. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Dish has control of what they send down via satellite, you do not.

You can only communicate with your receiver away from home via internet, there is no path through any satellite

15. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...

16. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Well, Directv does as well, but their scheduler works via sat by sending a signal through the sat stream to our receivers if we are out of home so it will always work even if your not connected to the internet. SO I have a feeling he was curios like me if Dish did the same.