1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benifts of TIVO/DTV STB over DTV w/ DVR STB?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Discussion' started by jbak21, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Dec 9, 2011 #1 of 19
    jbak21

jbak21 New Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Years ago before DVR was provided by service providers I had Tivo ( i aslo had ReplayTV before that) so i am familiar with their services. My question is with DVR being provided by DTV, what are the benefits to the Tivo/DTV STB over a standard HD DVR STB from DTV? is it just personal preference on the GUI?

2. Dec 9, 2011 #2 of 19
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    There was LONG THREAD about anticipation of new DTV TiVo - if you'll read it you will find a lot of answers to your questions, ppl did post many pro/contra and compare features during last three years, why not use it ?

3. Dec 9, 2011 #3 of 19
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The benefits...

if you like the TiVo interface, that's a benefit.
    You do get full-time dual live buffers (30 min. each), Swivel Search (if internet-connected) and unlimited Season Passes.

At this point I'm not sure what other benefits there are, but I'm actively playing with the box so I'll let you know.

4. Dec 9, 2011 #4 of 19
    midas69

midas69 AllStar

Jan 30, 2008
    Suggestions is another benefit. While hated (and I do not use the term lightly) by many, it's one thing I really miss.

5. Dec 9, 2011 #5 of 19
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    That is true, you get suggestions.

6. Dec 9, 2011 #6 of 19
    hancox

hancox Godfather

Jun 23, 2004
    True, functional OTA support (with scanning)

7. Dec 9, 2011 #7 of 19
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I posted this in another thread...

Some people would consider #4 a negative, others (like myself) a plus.

The negatives outweigh the benefits, but one might place greater importance on some of the benefits... thereby skewing it towards TiVo.

Just depends on what is most important to you...

~Alan

8. Dec 9, 2011 #8 of 19
    stephen431

stephen431 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Mostly personal preference on the GUI. But a lot of people liked TiVo suggestions, myself included. (My wife doesn't like them, but I think that's because they were all my rankings)

Searching for programming on TiVo is still much better. It's easier, quicker, and returns better results.

Navigating through DVR functions is still better, IMO, on TiVo.

Functionally, there's really not much difference anymore between TiVo and the basic D* DVRs.

9. Dec 9, 2011 #9 of 19
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Just remember this isn't Tivo Premiere we're talking about. There are some major features of the HR20-24 that aren't present on this box, even if Tivo has an equivalent function on their Premiere boxes.

10. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Not sure if the TiVO-Style GUIDE is still offered, but if so, that's a plus, IMHO.

There are some old screen shots showing the difference here.

11. stephen431

stephen431 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Other than Whole Home, I don't think there are any "major" features missing.
    The rest are minor features.

12. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes the TiVO-style guide is still there.

13. Guindalf

Guindalf Legend

Nov 19, 2005
    Dual 90-minute buffers have been on the HR2x boxes for some time!

14. stephen431

stephen431 New Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Only when you manually activate it, and then it's only temporary. Tivo always keeps 2 both buffers active.

15. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    What a concept! :sure: Does DirecTV know about this? :)

Does anyone know what the Tivo unit's guide will show if its a scanned channel for which DirecTv does not have info in its guide stream? (I assume you can still tune it)

16. hancox

hancox Godfather

Jun 23, 2004
    Assuming it 1) works with the AM21/AM21N and 2) works like the HR10-250 used to, yes.

17. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I always thought that particular style was a great use of SD screen real estate. Lots of information packed in there.

Attached Files:

18. ghfiii

ghfiii Mentor

Mar 25, 2005
    Being able to see seven shows into the future is a big plus with that guide...that said some people loathe that guide view...I think it is a plus.

The bigger problem for some has yet to be mentioned here:

the DTV remote.

Two problems that plague my family...the location of the the active and list buttons.

The active button is right below the the pause button. This has caused people to try and pause what they are watching only to accidentally hit the active button. One solution is to cut off the active button.

Less observed: accidentally hitting the record button when trying to hit the list button. This one hits our family as often as the active button problem. In this case, what do you cut off? the record button or the list button?

If you go with the DTV recorder and can afford it, the best solution is one of the after market remotes.

I don't mrv.

In twelve years with Directv I have never pay per viewed...is it directv cinema now...so the fact that all directv cinema content isn't available isn't a big deal

50 series link limit...I am constantly juggling the list on our hr21

DLB is still missed...my wife still hates DTV for leaving that out..."double play is just teasing us" (her words not mine)

The DTV dvrs are WAY better than they used to be, but they still have short comings...but so does the directv tivo

I LOVE directv, but their hardware/software decisions :nono2: :confused: :eek2:

19. ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    Could someone remind me when it's expected to go nationwide instead of select cities?