1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Advice Ever for the 922

Discussion in 'ViP922 DVR Support Forum' started by brucegrr, Feb 28, 2011.

Tags:
  1. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    I had a VIP-922 installed yesterday. Love the sleekness of the UI.

As a confirmed tech-holic I jumped right in checking out every function. I quickly found that some things didn't work. Slingbox, View Bill, Help, weather....did not work.

Before I got the 922 I read the forums looking to find posts on problems people had with the 922. (I always assume a new piece of hardware will not work properly. When it does I am pleasantly surprised. When it doesn't I am prepared)

More than a few people said "let the 922 sit a day. Let it "settle in". What's this settle in junk. It's hardware. It's software. Either it works or it doesn't, says the arrogant tech-holic.

Over night the DVR faeries visited my home and in the morning the 922 was transformed to a fully functioning DVR/Slingbox. EVERYTHING works as advertised, including dishonline on my laptop and iPad.

Perhaps a label should be put on new 922's... Full functionality may require 24 hours. Be patient!

Once again, I got good advice from the forum.

2. nhguy

nhguy Mentor

Jul 16, 2006
    Congratulations.
    After a few days it may need manual resets on a daily basis. Mine does.

3. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Mine works pretty good......an occasional reset...Sling is still a work in progress yet it's much better then it was in the beginning. Since you're a "tech-holic" you should enjoy...

4. Mar 3, 2011 #4 of 11
    PhantomOG

PhantomOG Legend

Feb 7, 2007
    any other tips? I have an installer coming by to replace my 622 with a 922.

Anything I need to do with my external hard drive to insure it will work with the 922 and still preserve all my recordings?

5. Mar 4, 2011 #5 of 11
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    It's kind of like finding a NIB laptop from 2005, running WinXP SP1 and some 2005-era anti-virus program. Would you jump right into surfing the web with that, or would you take the time to do the Windows Updates and update/replace the Anti-virus software and definitions? If the former, you'd be asking for big trouble...

6. Mar 4, 2011 #6 of 11
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008

Nope mine from my 722 worked fine.

7. Mar 4, 2011 #7 of 11
    PhantomOG

PhantomOG Legend

Feb 7, 2007
    Thanks, now I won't have to do the rain dance in front of the installer tomorrow. :lol:

In my chat where I requested the upgrade from 622 to 922, I specifically asked for the OTA module 5 times (I counted in the log) and made him repeat back to me that I wanted the OTA module. What are my chances the installer shows up tomorrow withOUT an OTA module? I'm almost betting on it. :nono:

8. Mar 5, 2011 #8 of 11
    PhantomOG

PhantomOG Legend

Feb 7, 2007
    Of course, he did not have the OTA module. I called to complain and they wanted to charge me $50 to make up for their mistake. I said that was unacceptable so they said as a "one time courtesy" to me they would be sending it free of charge. How magnanimous of Dish.... :rolleyes:

9. Mar 5, 2011 #9 of 11
    BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Are any of the policy makers at Dish embarrassed this keeps happenning?

10. prm1177

prm1177 Cool Member

Aug 21, 2007
    You know whenever I deploy a new Mac or PC that come pre-loaded from the factory, I ALWAYS have to run software updates to ensure the OS's are up to date. I think the 922s are no different as the image they use is probably several updates old.

That said, enjoy your 922. It's a slick receiver.

11. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Post like this make me lean at the 922...my bigist concern is the sling part, as I will use it 99.9 % of the time.....I understand new products and what makes this different as they can upgrade and /or fix problems as they arise...or better yet, add options it didnt start with!!!!