1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best and Worst States in the USA

Discussion in 'The OT' started by RichW, May 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    Don't want this to turn into a flame war, but, other than the state in which you currently reside, which is your favorite, which is your worst.

I have travelled most ot the lower 48 states. Going up to Alaska this summer for the first time and passed through Hawaii during the Vietnam war. I have to say that my favorite state to visit is Montana. I love Glacier National Park (excepting the crowds) I get inspired at the view of the Rockies and the Flathead valley from viewpoints in Western Montana. I could spend weeks in the National Forests, the Historic sites, and visiting Native American cultural centers.

Ironically the state I like least is also Montana - the Eastern part. It takes forever to drive through it with nothing to see but the horizon, and then you get more of the same crossing the Dakota border. Sweltered in 100+ degree temperatures most of the time.

2. Peter Wilson

Peter Wilson AllStar

Mar 23, 2002
    Best state: Washington
    Worst state: Oklahoma

3. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    favorite state to visit: Florida
    worst state to visit: Nevada

4. John Walsh

John Walsh Godfather/Supporter

Apr 22, 2002
    Favorite state: Probably any state in the Rockies

Worst State: Florida (I think I'm in hell)

5. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    I can kind fo relate to that John. I lived just down the road from you in Plantation for seven years. When I first moved there it was fun to swim in the pool on Christmas Day, but after a few years I tired of the high heat and humidity along with the burgeoning population in South Florida. Still, Florida is a great place to visit, especially further north.

6. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Thanks for the complements on my part of Montana (I live in the Flathead Valley outside Kalispell, close to Glacier Park). I agree eastern Montana is awful

My favorite is Florida

My least favorite is North Dakota

7. Dmitriy

Dmitriy Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 24, 2002
    My favorite is California

8. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I hate California. At one point, I had contemplated moving to Texas.

9. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    well, considering that Texas..er.excuse me...TEXAS... is THE center of the universe, then the Lone Star state is the best in my book...

the worst state-New York(however, the worst city in America is Newark, NJ)

the worst pretend state is Washington DC...

10. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I dont really have a favorite or least favorite state, I never thought about it before.

11. Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    Favorite state: Florida

Least favorite state: Pennsylvania

12. Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I was born and raised in West Virginia, lived for short spurts in Virginia and Southern California, 14 years in Central Florida and currently live in Tennessee for past 7 years. I have also visited in a little over half the states mostly in Southeast, Southwest and Midwest, plus Mexico, most of Southern Europe, Israel and Australia. Favorite place to live was Florida with California a close 2nd, one of the prettiest places I have bean is the Shenendoah Valley in Virginia, the Mountains of West Virginia, and the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. My favorite place that I have visited outside of the States is Australia, if I was to live outside of the States that’s where I would go. I also liked Israel and Athens Greece a great deal as well. I have not gone anywhere where I have not found something to like, however I would not like living in the great white North because I do not like cold weather. When my daughter goes away to college in less then 5 years my wife and I may return to Florida or possibly give Texas a try;).

13. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Fave: Colorado
    hate: Florida

14. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Fave: Texas
    Hate: Nebraska

15. STXJim

STXJim Legend in my own mind

Apr 22, 2002
    Favorite state: Happiness :)
    Least favorite state: Sadness :(...This really sucks!
    :D:D:D

16. Charles Oliva

Charles Oliva Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Best states: Oregon and Washington
    Worst states:Nevada and California(especially the Central Valley)

17. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Favorite- New York, especially the greatest city in the
    world NYC!

Worst- Alabama

18. Maniacal1

Maniacal1 Godfather/Supporter

Apr 9, 2002
    My favorite state to visit: Washington
    My least favorite state to visit: New Hampster

My two favorite foreign countries: California and Texas

19. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Favorite state (besides NC) - Washington (then Oregon)
    Favorite city - Las Vegas (Seattle close second)

Worst state - Louisiana (Florida second - I despise hot muggy weather)
    Worst city - Newark (New Orleans second)

I visited all 48 contiguous states between 1982 - 1990. I haven't been more than 200 miles from home since '90 but I doubt enough has changed anywhere to alter my opinions much :D

20. brmann

brmann Legend

Apr 22, 2002
    I literally have lived all over the world, and after retiring from the service moved to Florida. Well, it took me 20 years to escape but I finally made it to the beautiful mountains of Western Carolina and even after 6+ years love it here. The weather is fantastic, the views are breath taking, the people are friendly, the cost of living is reasonable, the dress is casual, and traffic jams are unheard of.

There are some things I do miss about Florida though. The beautiful birds, the pristine waters and the gorgeous sun sets. So every once in a while I do head south for a week or two, and reafirm my love for WC. Pretty much figure I have the best of both worlds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.