1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best choice for HD receiver these days?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tomcat11, Dec 18, 2008.

1. tomcat11

tomcat11 Mentor

Aug 5, 2006
    Maybe some of you could steer me in the right direction. I'm a long time D customer who owns and sets up my own sat equipment and have been out of the loop since I modified my H20-600 in '06 for cooling which is still running fine.

I now want to upgrade my original and still running Standard Def. Sony Sat-B2 (circa 1994) to HD and want to save time in evaluating all of D's current HD receivers and the thousands of posts on this great site.

So is it H21-100, H21-200, H23-600? what do you guys think? I hear they are all kind of crappy and each have their issues.

Are the DVR's any better?

I'm trying to choose the least amout of head ache.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Having had a -600 myself, you would be happy with any H21 and I've moved on to the HRs as they too have come a long way since the early days.
    If you look at my sig, you can see what I have that all work fine.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    To each his own, but all the best features are being developed for the DVRs, and IMO living without a DVR almost makes TV pointless. :)

4. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    +1. We have only one non-DVR receiver in the house and it's only there as sort of a "spare" in case both DVR tuners in the living room are in use and we have something we want to watch live (which is very, very rare).

5. 50+

50+ Legend

May 1, 2008
    I have 2- HR21 & an HR22 there are a few small problems. Most of the time they are problems I have created. I like to do all of my DTV work myself. I would definatly go with the larger hark drive. IMO