1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best HDMI cables for DTV HD receivers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Rebollos, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Rebollos

Rebollos AllStar

Feb 1, 2006
    Which are the best HDMI cables for DTV HD receivers?

2. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    The ones that are long enough to reach from the receiver to the TV...:)

Seriously, no one has really reported any difference in picture quality unless they are trying to use extremely long cables. Monoprice or Blue Jeans cables are fine--Monster Cable definitely not required!

3. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    CHEAP ONES! :D

I use Monoprice cables and think they're great.

4. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    You don't have to $100 on a cable. I have 4 from components to a HDMI switch to the TV and I didn't pay more than ≈$25 for any of them. I bought the cheapest one at Staples.

Unless you need to go a long way(>20m), IMHO, it doesn't matter.

EDIT: Link on HDMI cable costs

Mike
    post3k

5. HuzorDaddy

HuzorDaddy Cool Member

Feb 10, 2008
    I have bought from monoprice before and have been very happy.
    I also find the cheapest cables at Big Lots. Usually just for a few bucks.
    It's all digital so the gold-plated super duper copper wonder monster cables are a pure rip-off...

6. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    I go with the ones that came with my HD DVRs. For any additional ones I need I go to Monoprice.

7. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Digital is digital. As long as the connectors and cable are working fine, ANY cable will produce the same quality picture and sound.
    As mentioned above, if you're running a long cable (More than 50, 60 feet), then you may want to look into a more expensive cable. But don't go nuts. Those $400, $500 Monster Cables and such are WAY overboard.

8. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    Save 90% (yes 1/10th of what you will pay a BB or CC), and go with the cables from monoprice, BlueJeans, or one of the other online sellers. Even if you just have to have a big thick net-jacketed cable, get it from these guys, and still only spend $20. Even if you need a large-gauge extra-long cable, get it from these guys for a small fraction of what you would typically pay a retail.

Can't be said enough. Friends don't let friends buy Monster Cables.

FWIW, I buy pretty much all my cables (HDMI, Component, RCA, CAT5/6, RG6) from monoprice.com

9. reverett1522

reverett1522 Cool Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Monoprice- I have 6ft and recently bought a 50ft for my friends projector. Inexpensive and they work.

HDMI is digital, just 1's and 0's, as long as they get where they're going the signal will be there.

10. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    As others have said, if it is a short distance pretty much anything will work.

monoprice or bluejeanscable are my vendors of choice for miscellaneous cable. Blue Jeans has a clearance sale running on cables in a wide variety of lengths.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cable-clearance-sale.htm

BJC is also where I would go if I had a long distance need as they have worked closely with Belden on engineering high performance over long distance cables.

This is OT, but for anyone interested in the Monster vs. others debate... apparently Monster was attempting to bring a patent infringement lawsuit against BJC. The result is a very interesting read... http://www.bluejeanscable.com/legal/mcp/index.htm. The response from BJC was long, but particularly humorous.

11. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    This is a must read for every one. I particularly like the part where he said they were transferring money to Bermuda to avoid US taxes. :lol:
    He also said that when he got trough with them, the validity of their patents could be in question. This guy is good.

I don't think I would want to face him in court.

12. eco

eco Cool Member

Oct 25, 2008
    I've been using CableTrain.com recently their prices are the same or lower than monoprice on many cables. Plus they work great.

http://www.cabletrain.com

13. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I went through 3 different 16' cables with no luck. The smaller diameter cables do not seem capable of blocking inductive signals. Most of my runs are in the same path as power cords. Apparently the shielding on lesser cables do not hold up. I finally got a Pure AV cable that worked. I spent $60 on worthless cables before I landed on one that works. I could get a pixelated signal by laying them on the floor, but once tied into the wiring bundle they would not work.

14. pjrocco

pjrocco Cool Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Does it matter if I run the power cable and HDMI cable in the same "cable organizer"?

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't say this much but...

+1

16. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    have no complaints about monoprice and i have bought several items from them!

17. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Let me add my stamp of approval on Monoprice - 15 cables and over a year of use later....no problems. Add in the quality products, great service, great prices, and prompt shipping...and they're tough to beat.

I got the quad-shielded HDMI cables.....super, super protection and very well made (with gold-plated contact ends).

18. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    How about a definite "it depends"...

Generally you want to keep power away from low voltage to prevent any interference and if they do need to cross paths, to do it at right angles. Though over small distances and low (household 110v) voltage, the potential interference is rather low. Though amorphbob above seems to have had some power related interference issues. If you know that you need to run your HDMI cables for more than a few feet alongside power cords, you may want to look into getting something that you know is better shielded.

Blue Jeans Cable (IMO) has done considerable design and more scientific based R&D into HDMI cables than any other consumer provider out there. I'd look to them if I had any challenging HDMI runs to make. Here is a link to their HDMI page:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/index.htm

19. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    The cable that comes with your box should be fine. Unless you didn't get an HDMI cable all you need is the least expensive one, they work as well as the high priced ones...

20. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    From The Consumerist:And, from Gizmodo courtesy of The Consumerist:cnet: What HDMI cable should I buy?

Look, I think that Monster makes excellent quality cable. However, I think that it is way overpriced for the performance. Quite frankly, you do NOT lose that much signal over six feet. Long runs are a different story.

I ordered some cables from Monoprice. Even though I used the cheapest delivery method possible, I got the cables within one week. Not bad.