1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best media player?

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Ancient1, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Ancient1

Ancient1 Mentor

Feb 13, 2010
    Logitech's price cut to $99 on their Revue is enticing. Before I spring for this, how does this unit compare in performance to others, such as Roku, Boxee, WD Live Plus, Slingbox, etc.? I won't be streaming movies, as my IP makes it financially unattractive to use that much bandwidth, but I am interested in Internet radio, and getting pictures and web material from my PC to my TV. HDMI connections are preferable, as I want to minimize the number of cables needed to connect to my Yamaha AVR. I also plan to install surveillance cameras, and will want to be able to see their pictures on either the computer or the TV. Any valid input will be appreciated.

2. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    If all you are considering doing is Internet radio, then save money and go with the ROKU. I have both the ROKU and Boxee Box, I use my ROKU way more and it has an app for Internet radio which works great. I hope this helps

3. Ancient1

Ancient1 Mentor

Feb 13, 2010

Thank you, Harpoon IPA. I checked the manufacturer's sites, and note that the ROKU2 XS (the only one with a network and HDMI connection) is the same price as the Revue. However, it appears that the ROKU lacks much of the PC streaming capabilities of the Revue. It is apparently set up primarily for Netflix movie streaming, which is not important to me, and for gaming, which I won't use at all. My primary interests are moving Picasa photos and other Web content from my PC to the HDTV. My Yamaha AVR already gives me Pandora, and some Internet radio content, so those features are secondary to me. It looks like the Revue is best suited to my needs, unless someone knows of another unit that works even better.

4. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Every ROKU being made has the HDMI built in picture of unit at this link, http://www.roku.com/Libraries/Products_Page/roku-hd-chart-pics.sflb.ashx and here are the specs on the least expensive unit at there site for
    Video Outputs
    480i (over composite video)
    480p (over HDMI)
    720p (over HDMI)

5. mreaves53

mreaves53 Cool Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Odenville, Al
    Consider checking out the specs on the Viewsonic NexTV line. I have had one for several months now and it will handle any file type I have sent its way. I do a lot of DVD ripping, for backup and travel purposes, and the programs I use mostly save it in ISO format. This is the only media player I have found that will play this format.

Thanks,

6. dualsub20061367066128

dualsub20061367066128 New Member

Jun 12, 2011
    As someone who has a Revue and a Roku, the PC streaming on the Revue sucks. I keep Apple TV around for streaming to my TV.

Roku exists for a lot more than Netflix streaming. The channel store has content from 300+ providers, including Picasa album viewing.

7. Nov 5, 2011 #7 of 10
    Ancient1

Ancient1 Mentor

Feb 13, 2010
    Thanks to all who have responded. Looks like there are a lot of Roku admirers out there. I am still researching the add-on units, but have been concentrating on trying to find software that will work with my PC to stream content to my AVR. The Yamaha is DLNR-certified, but I am advised that it will support audio files only, which means I cannot stream the pictures in Picasa directly. I can stream the music in my Itunes folder, but I can do that with an Ipod through the dock a lot more conveniently. The Yamaha recognizes WMC, but will not pass through anything but audio files. I tried several software add-ins, such as Tversity, which did not work well at all, and Mezzmo, which the Yamaha picked up with no problem, and which will allow me to view the Picasa photo file. All in all, a very nice program - however, it is unable to stream live Web content, including Internet radio, which is one of my main interests. I have even tried XLPH along with VideoLAN, which has a great Internet radio content, but the Yamaha can't see it, and I can't get it out of the PC. Also, not really user friendly, unless you are an IT pro, which I am decidedly not.

It appears that most folks on this forum are Netflix devotees, which is of little or no interest to me. (Even with HD content, the sound is still just stereo - what's the point?) Looks like I am going to have to go to an add-on box to get what I am looking for. Roku sounds like it might work, but still looks to me like its ability to pass through live URL content is lacking. Logitech Revue sounds good on their website, but I haven't found a revue of their current system that is really helpful. So far, the unit that appears to be the most capable to me is the Dune, but I haven't seen this sytem discussed on this forum at all. Anyone know of a good review of the latest Dune system I can access?

8. Dec 3, 2011 #8 of 10
    thewamp

thewamp New Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Ancient1, on 21 October 2011 - 02:47 PM, said: "I am interested in Internet radio, and getting pictures and web material from my PC to my TV. HDMI connections are preferable, as I want to minimize the number of cables needed to connect to my Yamaha AVR. I also plan to install surveillance cameras, and will want to be able to see their pictures on either the computer or the TV. Any valid input will be appreciated."

My latest Laptop is an HP dv7t. It has an HDMI output. I recently went to a FL Condo for vacation. I took an HDMI cable with me and placed the Laptop on 16 X 20 Cutting Board which was placed on the seat of a Bar Stool. I was happy to find that all three TVs had HDMI inputs. I connected one of the TV's inputs to the Laptop's HDMI output.
    When TV input was set to it's correct HDMI port, anything that appeared on the Notebook's 17.3 inch screen, resolution set to 1600 X 900, also appeared on the HDTV.

I do have a Dish Network Sling Adapter connected to my home Dish Network VIP 722 DVR Receiver. This allowed me to Log In to Dish Online and operate the home Dish
    DVR Receiver remotely from the Laptop. I was able to watch home city news and DVR recordings on both the Condo's TV and the Laptop. Also, I was able to command the home DVR to record content shown on the Dish Online program guide for playback on another day. Also, I was able to watch pictures from my camera's SD card on the Condo's TV. (The Laptop has an SD/SDHC card slot.)

Any camera which connects to a PC via a USB connector can be used to show pictures on the Notebook and on the TV via an HDMI cable. I have a digital microscope with a USB connector. It can display viewed content on the TV via the HDMI cable. (The laptop has a built-in Web-Cam.) The software for the Web-Cam allows input to be switched, digitally, to use the Microscope instead of the Web-Cam to produce video output.

In summary, it appears that everything that you want to do can be done with an HDMI cable, provided that the computer that you use has an HDMI output.

You will need internet service that is fast enough to do Video Streaming. I have my Dish Receiver connected to a local cable internet service provider, via a cable, to a cable modem with built-in wireless router. My connection to the laptop from the home router, and also from the Condo router, is/was wireless.

I also, recently, purchased a used Logitech Revue via ebay for $89. It's box connects to the Dish Receiver and TV via two HDMI cables. I pay $4 per month to have the
    Revue integrated with the Dish Receiver. My Revue box still uses the Android 2.1 operating system. It is my understanding that Android 3.1 will soon be pushed out to the box. I really like the ability to use the box's Chrome Internet Browser to view internet content on the TV that I preferred, instead of to the Sony TV that has Google TV built-in. I have been reading, however, that Android 3.1 has already been pushed out to that Sony TV. We love our Revue!

DECEMBER 11, 2011 UPDATE: The OS update to Android 3.1 has been pushed out to my Revue. The first app that I looked for was a .pdf file reader.
    I found RepliGo Reader, by Cerience Corp, on the Android Market Place. I purchased it and after the third try to install it, it installed. It works well and I give it 5 stars as other reveiwers have done.

9. Dec 6, 2011 #9 of 10
    houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I still use my laptop.. have hdmi and optical cable (gives 1980p and 5.1 sound).. simple and plays pretty much anything..
    Run TV as second screen and I can still use stock laptop screen for web/email while playing media

10. dualsub20061367066128

dualsub20061367066128 New Member

Jun 12, 2011
    I use my MacBook with my Apple TV for streaming my local content. I'm not one that browses or screws with email while I'm streaming something so it works best for me. I understand that Boxee does AirPlay as well, so it would work the same way as an Apple TV, just 2x the money.

All of that said, I don't have a lot of local files that I play. I do have TV seasons and movies that I bought through iTunes and the new iCloud makes it very easy to access these on the Apple TV.