1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Best" Multiswitch setup?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Darknight, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darknight

Darknight New Member

May 30, 2007
    Greetings!
    Long time listener, first time caller. I've been searching around for the answer to my question, and I'm sure it's been discussed before - but I can't seem to find it. I apologize for the noob questions.

First, the setup:
    I have a new construction prewired house with 8 RG6 drops coming down from the attic / dish into the "distribution center" in my basement. I have 20 RG6 runs to 10 different locations for future twin tuner setups.

Now the question(s):
    What would be the best multiswitch setup for this configuration? a Zinwell WB616 feeding WB68's? Some big dollar Spaun monster? Something completely different?

Generally speaking, what is considered best practices as far as "punching down" coax systems? I come from the data world, and I'm used to bringing the home runs back to the DC and punching them down and then running patch cables to the switch/router/hub. Should I just crimp on some cable ends and run them to the multiswitches, or is there a better/cleaner way?

Thanks!

DK

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    The only multi-switch's that will work with the new MPEG4 HD channels are the WB616 and WB68. If I am correct and if I am not someone please correct me. I would do a WB616 and a WB68 with 4 power passing splitters splitting the 4 lines from the dish to the multi-switch's.

3. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    BTW :welcome_s to DBStalk

4. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Spaun also has some compatible multiswitches (12 and 16 port), but they are much more expensive.

5. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Question back at you.

How many of those 20 runs to the various rooms are going to be be used?

If 16-20, then I'd go with 2 6x16s, with 4 power passing splitters feeding them. I'd put 10 lines on each.

9-16, just a 6x16. You see how this is going.

If you don't mind a few bucks, stick with the 2 6x16s.

Bottom line, really going to depend on what and how you are going to utilize those drops.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Also, not just how many will be used, but how many will be used in the near term? For example, if you only expect to make 4 rooms hot to start with, and maybe add more next year sometime, I would only get enough multiswitch for the current need. By the time you expand, new technology should be available, and you would probably want to migrate to that.

Carl

7. Darknight

Darknight New Member

May 30, 2007
    Hmm, good question. We’ll probably have about half hot within the near future.

Good point that we can always add another multiswitch later, I honestly hadn’t thought of that. Like I said in my original post; I’m used to “punching down” everything so it’s cleaner. I guess I’ll just go with the one 6x16 and label/tie off the rest for now.

Follow up question, a “power passing splitter”? The google suggests something like one of these? vvv.gocna.com/en-us/dept_237.html (replace v’s with w’s)
    Which one would be appropriate for this scenario?

Also, at this point we have some older DirecTivo’s; will the HD dish and these multiswitches still work with the older hardware until we upgrade?

Thanks for all the suggestions, and sorry again for the noobitude.

DK

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    more like one of these:
    http://www.2000networks.com/accessories/switches/splitter_p-2150-2ap-gx.html

you need up to 2150 mHz

And yes your older receivers work fine with the new dish.

9. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    DK,

Welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

If you are going to go with the WB616, you shouldn't need the power passing splitter. Also, the WB616 is a powered multi-switch, the WB68 is not. If you're just going to be using up to 16 tuners for now, you should be fine with just the WB616.

10. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    After checking the price of the WB616 you might want to go with the WB68 and upgrade later this year to the SWM when it becomes available.

11. Darknight

Darknight New Member

May 30, 2007
    Thanks for the warm welcome and all the advice!

DK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.